Friday, July 4, 2008

It’s Magyk!!!


Book- Septimus Heap : Magyk
Author- Angie Sage
Illustrator- Mark Zug

More than half of the posts in this blog are about movies and TV series, and only 2 posts are about books (not including this one). So sad. It may look like I don’t like to read books but actually I do. When I said books, I don’t only mean manga or comic but also novels.

Lately I’m so addicted to children novels. I know I’m too old for them but I can’t help myself. One of my favorite books that I just recently discovered is Septimus Heap: Magyk by Angie Sage. This is the first book in the Septimus Heap series. Currently there are already 4 books in the series with the latest being called Queste.

It tells a story about a young girl, Jenna, who had been raised by a normal family of wizards (the Heap family) and not knowing that she was actually the daughter of the previously murdered Queen until one day when someone wanted to assassinate her, following the order from the evil Necromancer, who was longing for power. For their safety, the wizard family and the little princess had to run away. During their escape, they were joined by a young boy from the Young Army, Boy 412, who was unwillingly caught in the action. Boy 412 were raised by the Young Army and never knew his family. At first he was disgusted with the wizards as it was taught to him in the army that the wizards were the enemies. Eventually, he became close and somewhat attracted to them when he really gets to know them. Together, Boy 412, Jenna and the Heap family must find a way to defeat the evil Necromancer and return Jenna to her rightful place. Also, as they were journey together, Boy 412 finally learned the truth of who he really was.

I like this book because of the settings, the story and also the lovable characters. Boy 412 is such a cutie, his responses to the others’ behaviors sometimes made me laugh. Jenna, strong-willed and kind-hearted, can really inspire children. Marcia Overstrand, the ExtraOrdinary Wizard is just hilarious. And the other characters like Silas Heap, Nicko Heap and Stanley, the Confidential Message Rat, are also amusing. There is not a single character that I don’t like. Even DomDaniel, the evil Necromancer, and his apprentice are fun to read about. Oh, and one more thing. I also love the illustrations by Mark Zug. Nice!

Overall, this book is a must have for children, and of course adults who are into children’s novel (like me!). The story is not too complicated and the settings are just magykal, oops! I mean magical. A fun book to read.

With Harry Potter saying goodbye, Septimus Heap could be the next top wizard.

No comments: