Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army ~ review






I watched Hellboy 2 the other day. It was fun, it was funny, it was nice. Not great, but nice.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this movie is on top of my list of must-watch summer movies this year. So I went into the cinema hall with high hope and anticipation. Fortunate for me, this movie is really good! Although there are several scenes in it that I don't like, for example when Hellboy flew out of a window and fell on top of a car (early in the movie when they battle the tooth fairies). I don't have any problem with the scene except for the soundtrack that accompany it. I don't think it's fit. Anyway, that was just one scene, so never mind. Wait, there's another one. The scene where Hellboy and Abe sing (!!!). I don't mind them singing but I wish the scene could have been cut a little bit shorter.

Apart from that, I think the movie is good! I like the soundtrack (except the one that I mentioned above) especially in the beginning of the movie. I like the acting, especially Anna Walton (Princess Nuala), Luke Goss (Prince Nuada) and Seth MacFarlane (the voice of Johann Krauss). Other cast (Ron Perlman as Hellboy; Selma Blair as Liz Sherman; Doug Jones as Abe Sapien, Angel of Death & the Chamberlain) did quite well too. And most importantly, I LOVE the story. Elves, fairies, trolls and gnomes, I mean who wouldn't love that? It was pure fantasy. LOVE IT!!!

In my personal opinion, Johann Krauss and the Angel of Death are the most outstanding character design in the movie, but my favorite...the Elemental creature, Forest God. It was beautiful, and it sadden me to see it died. The most funny...Johann Krauss! He was hilarious, and his power is amazing too. I don't read Hellboy comics so I did not expect anything like that. They also show the soft side of Abe Sapien in the movie which I didn't expect as well.

Overall, this movie is entertaining and also have moral values. It shows how greedy human can be. We replace the nature with shopping malls and parking lots. Mmm...kinda remind me of The Happening.

Thanx Yahoo! for the pics. I recommend this movie to all those fantasy movie fans out there. You will certainly enjoy this. Good job Guillermo del Toro and all crews!

No comments: