Friday, May 1, 2015

What to watch? ~ 2015 movies: May

The summer movie season has started, and we have plenty of blockbuster movies lining up ready to please the cinemagoers...or will they? It's going to be quite competitive at the box office because it's so packed with so many big movies. I wonder which movies will become successful and which will lose the audiences interest? Let's look at the movies that I'm most excited about that will be released in May.


1) Hot Pursuit


I don't really like watching comedy films at the cinema but Hot Pursuit is a movie I'm willing to try. Starred Reese Witherspoon (who also acted as one of the producer for this movie) and Sofia Vergara, the movie is about a police officer who has to protect a wife of a criminal from other criminals and dirty cops who are after her. It is directed by Anne Fletcher who had also directed movies like The Proposal (with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds) and 27 Dresses (with Katherine Heigl and James Marsden) before. The trailer for Hot Pursuit looks quite funny although I don't know how much can it compete with this year's packed and highly competitive summer movie season. We'll wait and see if the counter-programming strategy will work for this movie. Hot Pursuit will be released in cinemas on May 8, 2015.


2) Mad Max: Fury Road


I don't think I have watch any of the Mad Max movies before. But that doesn't stop me from being excited for this movie. The trailers for it look incredible, with stunning visuals and eye-popping action and special effects, but I hope it will also has a good story to complement the rest of the amazing factors that I've mentioned. The movie stars Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron (whom I'm most excited about when it comes to the cast of this movie), Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Keays-Byrne, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Zoe Kravitz and many more. Originally George Miller, the director and mastermind behind this franchise, planned to shoot the movie back-to-back with its intended sequel, but that plan didn't seem to follow through. The sequel tittled Mad Max: Furiosa, seem to be focusing on Charlize Theron's character since she played a character named Imperator Furiosa. I love Charlize Theron so I hope this plan would become a reality. Mad Max: Fury Road would be released in cinemas on May 15, 2015

3) Pitch Perfect 2


I can't believe I haven't watch Pitch Perfect yet! It was critically acclaimed and beloved by mainstream audiences as well. I don't think the story is complicated so seeing the sequel without seeing the previous movie would not be a major problem I would assumed. So I might go to see this movie without knowing the story that happen before that...hopefully it won't take my enjoyment out of the movie. Beside, it's the music and characters that made the movie so popular in the first place, right? Directed by Elizabeth Banks (that's Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games movie series) and with an ensemble cast headlined by Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Skylar Astin, Anna Camp and Brittany Snow, Pitch Perfect 2 would open in cinemas on May 15, 2015.


4) Poltergeist


I'm a bit conflicted about this movie. While I'm excited that they remake this movie, at the same time I'm a bit disappointed that it look almost the same with the original movie judging from the trailers released. I mean, the original movie was a good movie which I believe can still be enjoyed today, why remake that almost shot-by-shot? I hope the trailers were a bit misleading and this remake will be a bit different story-wise and visual-wise. Either way, I'm still going to watch this at the cinema because...well it's Poltergeist! Directed by Gil Kenan (who had directed movies like City of Ember and Monster House before) and starred Sam Rockwell, Jared Harris, Rosemarie DeWitt, Kyle Catlett and Saxon Sharbino, Poltergeist is scheduled to be released in cinemas on May 22, 2015.


5) Tomorrowland


The movie already got my ticket's money with its amazing teaser trailer that featured the world-flip sequence, and it convinced me even more to watch it in the cinema with its official trailers. The special effects for this movie look absolutely incredible! I can see myself having so much fun watching this...well, I hope I would. The movie is directed by Brad Bird, the same director who gave us The Incredibles (yes, that awesome animated movie from Pixar) and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, so I have high hopes for this movie. Starring George Clooney, Britt Robertson, Hugh Laurie and Raffey Cassidy, Tomorrowland would open in cinemas on May 22, 2015. Can't wait!


6) San Andreas


It's been awhile since I last saw a disaster movie in a cinema, and San Andreas seems like a good disaster movie, so why not watch this one, right? But then again, there are so many exciting movies coming out that I might just have to skip this one...or should I? From the trailer, the special effects look good, the characters look well-realized and the cast looks pretty impressive too with the likes of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Carla Gugino, Alexandra Daddario, Paul Giamatti and Ioan Gruffudd joining the cast. Even Kylie Minogue would be in this movie too...hmm, I wonder what role is she playing? While I'm pretty much quite excited to watch this movie, I'm still thinking whether to watch this in the cinema or not. I'm guessing The Rock's character will come out of this mega earthquake alive but I'm not sure if the movie can survive another type of disaster which is the competitive landscape of movies this year. Hopefully it will. San Andreas is scheduled to open in cinemas on May 29, 2015.


That's a lot of movies, am I right? I'm pretty sure I will have to skip some of these due to budget constraint. What about you? What are your most anticipated movies for May 2015?

No comments: