Thursday, May 7, 2015

Ranking the Avengers in Avengers: Age of Ultron

I bet plenty of you had watched Avengers: Age of Ultron, maybe even more than once. It's a great movie and I like it a lot. But which Avenger is your favourite? Instead of a regular movie review, I've decided to rank the Avengers like what I did when the first Avengers movie came out, but this time I will rank it in order from the bottom to the top (I ranked it randomly in my post for the first movie). I will only list the main characters so there will be 9 Avengers altogether. There will be no major spoilers here but if you haven't watch the movie and want to avoid any kind of spoilers (even the smallest one that may already have been revealed in the trailers and TV spots) - and to be fair, there are some minor spoilers involving a character's origin included here, you best leave this post right away. So which Avenger will be on top of my list? Let's start from the bottom and work our way up the list. Let's begin...Avengers assemble!


9 - Thor


At the bottom of my list is Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth on the silver screen). He is quite popular with the ladies and I think Thor is an interesting character too. However, I always feel that he didn't fit well with the team, always seems like the odd one out. Even though Thor's solo movies were not as highly acclaimed compared to some of the other superhero's movies from the team, at least he is more outstanding, or should I say he has stronger presence, in his own movies rather than in an ensemble team. Furthermore, he didn't have a strong character development in Avengers: Age of Ultron, and most of his scenes were focused on his abilities and the power that he possessed. Nevertheless, Thor still looked awesome in this movie, and his scenes when he used his hammer to call on the lightning were really amazing. I'm looking forward for his next adventure on the big screen with his third solo movie.


8 - Quicksilver


Oh Pietro Maximoff a.k.a. Quicksilver ~ I think it was quite unfair the way the movie handled the character at the end of the movie. He's a particularly interesting character and his relationship with his twin sister was one of the aspect that I like about this movie. Aside from that, his banter with Hawkeye were fun to watch too. Aaron Taylor-Johnson played the character well, and he definitely made an impact in the movie, especially in the final battle with Ultron. However, I felt that the character could have been developed more, that was also why I'm quite disappointed with the way the character was handled in the end, such a waste, a missed opportunity. From the studio point of view, I kind of understand why they had to do that, but still, it was a tad unnecessary.


7 - Hawkeye


Clint Barton a.k.a Hawkeye is a cool character, I like him. A lot of people complaint the way the character was handled in the first Avengers movie, so here in the sequel we can see they had expanded his role and make him more relevant to the team. Even from the first movie, I can see he is a great asset to the team, so I don't really have any issue with how he was handled in the first film, but to see the character developed even more in this movie is certainly delightful. The character and the actor playing him, Jeremy Renner, really deserved it. I really hope the studio would insert him in other solo movies the way they did with the Black Widow character, that would greatly help to make Hawkeye even more important and recognizable in the Marvel Cinematic Universe like the rest of the Avengers.


6 - Iron Man


I think it was obvious how important Tony Stark a.k.a Iron Man is to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He's a popular character and he always play an important role when it comes to the story in the Avengers movies. Robert Downey Jr. was exceptional as Iron Man, and he always have the best toys to play with (by toys I mean his Iron Man suits and drones) so it was not surprising if the character is so popular. The thing that made me love him in this movie is his motivation and desire to create a better world. I may not agree with some of his choices and decisions, but I understand where he is coming from. As much as I love his banter with Captain America and how he likes to joke around with the other characters, it was his emotional depth like the scene he had with Nick Fury talking about his fear, that made me feel that Tony Stark is indeed a great character, and more relatable than he has ever been before. Some people might say he is overrated but to me he just had a better story arc that made him standout from the rest of the characters.


5 - Scarlet Witch


I really love Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal as Wanda Maximoff a.k.a Scarlet Witch. She's a little bit weird with a strange hand movement, but she played the character convincingly. The red mist that appears and her red eyes when she uses her power really makes her look menacing, and she truly is! She's a strong character and the best thing is that they had only scratch the surface of her full potential. I'm sure she is capable of much, much more and with the right story and character development, she can become just as popular and beloved like the other senior members of the Avengers. I really have high hopes for this character moving forward and hopefully she will become a force to be reckoned with in the future movies the studio had planned.


4 - Captain America


When the first Captain America movie came out, I was not very interested in the character (played by Chris Evans). Sure he seemed like a good superhero, but there's nothing more in him that I'm interested in. Even when the first Avengers movie came out, I don't see anything special with him that set him apart from the rest of the Avengers. But that changed when Captain America: The Winder Soldier came out. It was a great movie and had quickly made the character climb up my favourite superhero list, and with Avengers: Age of Ultron, I love and respect the character even more. What had finally make me fall in love with the character is his moral values. Of course, the character had always had a high moral value since the beginning when he was first introduced in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but maybe because I didn't like Captain America: The First Avenger that much that made me failed to notice that. Interestingly I found myself to agree with him the most when there are arguments between the members in the team. I believe he set a good example to what a good, high moral value superhero should be, which is a good thing for the audience, especially to young fans. That is why I admired him.


3 - Vision


First of all, my apologies for not having a better image of Vision (played by Paul Bettany) for this post. Marvel Studio had been keeping him close to the vest that even on the official website for the movie, there is no poster or image of Vision, which is weird since he is a very interesting character. I love the scenes involving Vision; when he was first awake, when he first confronted Ultron in Sokovia, and especially his final scene with Ultron after the fight ended. That final scene with Ultron was such a strong scene, and makes me wonder what more can we expect from him. I also love the scene when the Ultron system first became sentient and interacted with J.A.R.V.I.S (Tony Stark's A.I. creation and also voiced by Paul Bettany). Eventhough technically J.A.R.V.I.S. had not yet assimilated to become Vision at that time, but it was a powerful scene to me that involved Paul Bettany and I really love it a lot. I don't know what plans the studio has for the character but I surely hope they will include him more in the upcoming Marvel Studio's movies because...well, he's a very interesting character. I can't wait to see more of him.


2 - Black Widow


Natasha Romanoff a.k.a Black Widow was once again portrayed excellently by Scarlett Johansson. I love the character...a lot! She's a mere mortal compared to the rest of the Avengers but she (alongside Hawkeye, of course) proved once again that she's as capable as the rest of the team and just as strong to fight powerful villains like the many drones of Ultron, and when she's on a mission, she managed to get the job done, just like when she was in Seoul, South Korea with Captain America and Hawkeye. It was a difficult fight in a (quite) long action sequence, but she managed it. Another aspect of the movie that I love is her relationship with Bruce Banner. They had a deep, emotional connection with each other and even with all the fights throughout the movie, her scenes with him are definitely some of the best scenes in the movie, especially the one in a safehouse after the incident at the African shipyard. That was a powerful scene, I love it! I hope the studio will continue to utilize the character because she really is a great character.


1 - Hulk


So who is my favourite Avenger in Avengers: Age of Ultron? It's the Hulk! I didn't rank the Avengers in order for my post for the first Avengers movie but I did mention that the Hulk is my favourite character in that movie, and here he is again on top of my list for the sequel. Mark Ruffalo is brilliant as Brune Banner a.k.a the Hulk. The character was explored further in this movie especially in his fear of the monster that he might become, and that emotional depth makes the character intriguing. I've mentioned that I love the relationship that the character has with Natasha Romanoff, and the scenes they had together are really great. It's sad that there is currently no solo the Hulk movie in plan, but hopefully the character will appear in some of the movies the studio had planned. He is a fascinating character so I seriously hope that the studio will handle the character well in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.


Phew! It's not easy but I finally managed to complete the list. To be honest, I kind of like all of the Avengers so I have to be a bit nit-picky on certain aspects of the characters to come out with this list. Have you watch Avengers: Age of Ultron? If you have, which of the Avengers is your favourite and why? Which is your least favourite?

I also want to give a shout-out to all the people behind this amazing movie; actors, director (marvelous job Joss Whedon), screenwriters, and all the other crews and departments that were involved in the making of this movie. Congratulations! A job well done!

Images from Avengers: Age of Ultron official site.

No comments: