Monday, October 6, 2014

What to watch? ~ 2014 movies: October

October's here, and in a few months more we will be in 2015. How time flies! There are some potentially good movies coming out this month so you better get ready for them. But like I always said, some movies might not be as good as we would expect them to be. It can be quite disappointing especially if you are looking forward to see them. Hopefully these movies I listed below will be good. Without further delay, let's begin.


1. Annabelle


After terrorizing horror fans last year, Annabelle, the creepy doll from The Conjuring, will get its own movie this year. The film will serve as both a prequel and spin-off of The Conjuring, and it is directed by John R. Leonetti and produced by James Wan, who is the director of The Conjuring. John R. Leonetti had served as cinematographer for James Wan a few times before, so hopefully he got a few tips from him on how to make a good horror movie. To be honest, I'm not too convinced yet on this movie but I think I might eventually be interested to check it out in the cinema. Annabelle was released in movie theaters on October 3, 2014.


2. Gone Girl


I'm really interested in this movie's plot. It's about a guy who is suddenly put under the spotlight as the nation follows the search of his missing wife. But as the authorities investigate the matter, more secrets come out and many suspicious eyes targeted at the grieving husband, and more are convinced that the husband is not as innocent as he seems to be. But did he really got anything to do with the disappearance of his wife? It's a mystery film and that's what I like about it, I'm eager to find out the truth behind this tragic incident. The movie also received critical acclaim, and that makes me even more excited about it. Starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry, Kim Dickens and Carrie Coon, this film adaptation from a novel of the same name by Gillian Flynn was released in cinemas on October 3, 2014.


3. Dracula Untold


The trailer to this film looks pretty good but I'm sad to say that it had received negative reviews from critics so far. I was pumped to see this movie before but right now I'm not so sure anymore. The film was part of a planned reboot of Universal Monsters' franchise, although originally it wasn't. Re-shoots were done to tie this film to that universe. Sounds like an interesting plan by the studio to put all these monster movies under one roof, but with its weak reception by critics hence potentially weak performance at the box-office, will this movie still be tied to that universe? Dracula Untold will be released in the cinemas on October 10, 2014.


4. The Book of Life


If you look at the trailer to this movie, you will notice the unique style of animation that it has. The unconventional look and design of the animation was a turned-off for me previously but as I continue to look at it, it does look kind of interesting. Scheduled to be released in cinemas on October 17, 2014, this film tells the story of Manolo whos spirit had to take on an incredible journey from the world of the dead to the human world to be with the girl he loved. Sounds like an interesting premise. The voice casts include Diego Luna, Zoe Saldana, Channing Tatum, Christina Applegate, Ice Cube and Ron Perlman.


5. Camp X-Ray

This American independent drama film is based on Camp X-Ray at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. I just wrote Guantanamo Bay there, so you know it's heavy drama. The trailer looks amazing, and that's the first thing that drawn me into this movie. The second thing that caught my interest is the two main casts, Kristen Stewart and Peyman Moaadi, who had received quite a lot of praises from their performances in this film. I rarely watch movies with heavy subject but this movie looks quite good so I might check it out. With Lane Garrison, John Carroll Lynch and Joseph Julian rounded up the supporting roles, Camp X-Ray will released in cinemas on October 17, 2014.


So that's it for October movies. Any movies you're interested in? Or any movies that I missed out? Hope you like this post and thank you for reading. :-)


Images from Wikipedia.

3 comments:

Ahn Yona said...

Hi there!
I've watched Dracula Untold, OK lah, since Vlad the Impaler's so handsome LOL! I was advised by my pals to skip Annabelle as the reviews I got seemed negative (Yes, same with The Conjuring last year). But I'll be looking forward to the Book of Life this Friday with some friends.
Thanks for the October movie list Dex! :)

Marke.D said...

Hey there! :-D Lama menghilang...how are you? Sihat? Semua okay ke?

Same here, watched Dracula Untold and skipped Annabelle too sebab cousin cakap tak berapa best. But eh, I like The Conjuring la! hehe. Book of Life pun mungkin akan tgk jugak nanti. Tgk budget camna. :-)

Lagi 2 films tu, xpasti pun akan release in Malaysia ke x. Tp nmpak menarik. ;-)

Ahn Yona said...

Hi. Memang lama tak blogging. Banyak benda nak catch up within a year. Last post blog pun kat my other blog (blogfiokab.blogspot.com). Itu pun post pasal my late uncle. He passed away exactly a year ago.
I've watched The Book of Life, memang best walau tak segah Frozen. Old school folks mcm kita ni mmg akan suka jalan cerita dia plus lagu2 lama diorg main dlm versi ala2 mexico haha!! I pegi tgk filem tu with my friend and her 7 year old daughter..keluar wayang dah takde nye melalak lagu "Let it go". Memang dah gone terus imej Elsa hahah!!