Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Happening ~ review





I went to watch The Happening last weekend. Here's what I think about the movie (beware: spoilers ahead!).

I like the concept and the story. The idea is truly original and kinda creepy. The plants are releasing some kind of chemical to mess up our brains and this lead to humans becoming delusional and suicidal (!). It looks like the plants are angry with us humans for destroying Earth. Well, if I were the plant, I would be angry too.

Mark Wahlberg played a kind-and-loving science teacher, Elliot Moore, while Zooey Deschanel played his wife, Alma. I was kinda surprise to see Mark in that type of character. He usually play the tough guy, but here, he's very gentle and lovable, and I like it a lot!

The characters development in this movie are not strong but you can still see their different personalities. Elliot is sweet, clever, resilient and kinda naive. While Alma is kinda rebellious (in not-so-obvious kinda way) and still trying to adapt to her marriage, but she still a caring person.

The couple, together with Elliot's best friend, Julian (John Leguizamo), and his daughter, Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez), evacuate their small town in order to survive this horror. They face a lot of obstacles and dangerous situations. With Elliot quick thinking and knowledge in science, they manage to survive (well, at least for Elliot, Alma and Jess).

I love this movie a lot. It's like a wake-up call for us human to stop polluting the Earth. I also like the acting, especially by the 3 main actors (Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, and Ashlyn Sanchez) although I wish their characteristics could be developed more. Oh, and not forgetting the soundtrack composed by James Newton Howard. LOVE IT!!!

So, I recommend you guys to watch this movie. But don't expect to see a horror movie, because it's not. Besides, you'll be disappointed if you think that way. It's just a drama with a great story. Bear that in mind while you entering the cinema hall and you might enjoy this movie a whole lot more.

PS: Thanx Yahoo! for the pics!

No comments: