Sunday, January 31, 2016

2015 Movies ~ My 10 Favourite Moments!

It's one month after the new year but I still got one more list to make for the 2015 movies that I've watched. I've done my top 10 movies of the year (which I separated into 2 parts; the bottom 5 and top 5), now it's time to list my 10 favourite scenes/moments of them.

Before that, I need to remind you readers that this list might contain spoilers, so if you have one or two 2015 movies that you haven't seen yet and planning to do so and want to avoid spoilers, then I suggest you to read another post then.

One more thing; this list is in no particular order. Okay, let's start!


1) The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Scene/sequence: The opening scene with CIA agent Napoleon Solo (Henry Cavill) extracting Gabriella Teller (Alicia Vikander) from East Berlin while evading KGB operative Illya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer).

There are a lot of spy movies in 2015 and one that I feel was overlooked by many is The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I think it's a fun movie and Henry Cavill was so charming in it. This opening scene perfectly introduced the three main protagonists and set the tone of the movie.


2) Tomorrowland

Scene/sequence: The world-flip effects when Casey Newton (Britt Robertson) touches the Tomorrowland pin.

I love any scenes that involved the world-flip effects in this movie. They look so incredibly cool and amazing! Even though I watched it so many times already in the trailer before I watched the movie, I was still amazed by it at the cinema.


3) Inside Out

Scene/sequence: The abstract thought sequence.

This is a very fun sequence. I love how they created this place as an area inside a person mind where 3-dimensional objects turned into 2-dimensional shapes and then further turned into lines. I think it represents a place inside our head where ideas are created, where simple lines and shapes could become complex objects. But then again the characters, who are supposed to be the complex objects, are the one turned into more simple 2-dimensional shapes and lines. Hmm...I think I'm wrong with this interpretation. Well, I may not know what it represents but it sure is an interesting and creative sequence.

4) The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Scene/sequence: Tris (Shailene Woodley) truth serum trial.

This scene shows just how much of a gifted actress Shailene Woodley is. It's an emotional scene and shows the struggles of her character in dealing with something that she had done in the past, which is really heart-breaking to see. I'm really invested in this series and I'm looking forward to see what's in store for the character in the next movie.


5) Hotel Transylvania 2

Scene/sequence: Murray the Mummy (Keegan-Michael Key) attempted to summon a sandstorm to teach little Dennis (Asher Blinkoff) how to become a monster.

I love this scene! It's fast and short but it's very funny. Each pose that Murray did to "summon" the sandstorm was quick and precise, and add that with the chubby-ness of the character's design makes it even more adorable and cute.


6) Avengers: Age of Ultron

Scene/sequence: Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) talking about their current situation at Clint Barton/Hawkeye's house (Jeremy Renner).

I know a lot of fans didn't really like the romance between Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner but I like this scene a lot, it's a very good scene. Audience always like to see their superhero in action with all their superpowers so it's good to portray the human side to these superheroes as well so that audience won't forget that they are, after all, just normal human beings with personal feelings and conflicts. I think they made a cute couple and I hope future Marvel films will explore this relationship further.


7) Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Scene/sequence: When the First Order attacked planet Takodana in search of BB-8, and Finn (John Boyega) witnessed Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) captured Rey (Daisy Ridley).

I love the friendship between Finn and Rey in this movie. Even though they had just met not long ago but they manage to build a budding friendship in a short time as they help each other out. This scene showed how genuine Finn feelings were towards Rey, and how he cared so much for her. It's a beautiful scene and one that managed to touch audience's heart.


8) Mad Max: Fury Road

Scene/sequence: Max (Tom Hardy) vs Nux (Nicholas Hoult) vs Furiosa (Charlize Theron) and the five wives, when Max met them after the sandstorm.

This is the scene where Max met Furiosa and the five wives of Immortan Joe for the very first time. It was quite an intense fight and I was glad to see that some of the wives tried to lend a hand to Furiosa in fighting Max as well, which showed that they were not as weak as they seemed. It was also funny to see how Nux desperately trying to win over Max as well. This is the conflict that started it all and what would eventually become a friendship and an important bond between them.


9) The Good Dinosaur

Scene/sequence: Arlo and Spot 'talking' about their respective family at night by the river.

This is a very emotional scene and one that is important to connect the bond between this two unlikely buddies. It's sad to see how tragedies had plagued both of them and made them lost their respective family members, but it is also beautiful to see how they both can relate to each other because of this. And they didn't even speak the same language. It's a touching moment and one that I will remember years to come.


10) Chappie

Scene/sequence: When Chappie (Sharlto Copley) was kicked out from the "house", bullied and discriminated against by the street boys, being all alone on the street before being "kidnapped" and "tortured" by Vincent Moore (Hugh Jackman) and his team, and finally finding his way "home" all by himself.

Although Chappie didn't make it into my top 10 favourite movies list of the year, I still love this movie so much, and these scenes in particular are very meaningful and powerful that they brought tears to my eyes. The scenes represent the cruelty of the world that could befall a child in a harsh condition, environment or misguidance from their parents, guardian or any adult really. It could also represent discrimination. Well, at least those are the ways I could interpret the scenes and it really took me by surprise by how powerful they are. If you haven't watched Chappie, you should give it a try.



Finally, I finished this list! What do you think of them? And what about your favourite scenes from the 2015 movies that you watched? Any one that stands out?

May 2016 will bring another bunch of great and powerful scenes in movies. :-)

Thank you for reading!

Images sources: YouTube, Pixar and The Divergent series websites.

No comments: