Thursday, January 28, 2016

My 2015 Top 10 Films ~ No. 5 - No. 1

Welcome back! If you found this post by accident, then this is just another top 10 list where I count down my top 10 favourite movies for 2015. I've already done the bottom half of the chart (you can click here to read it), now let's move on to the top half of the chart.


5 ~ Tomorrowland


I love the plot in Tomorrowland so it breaks my heart to see that the movie got mixed reviews by critics and performed poorly at the box-office. This movie is a big loss for Disney; the production cost around $190 million (and that not even inclusive of marketing budget) but made only around $209 million at the worldwide box office. I think it has a brilliant story, excellent special effects (especially the world-flip effects) and great chemistry between the three main characters played by Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy and George Clooney. It does have somewhat of a gloomy premise which might turned off some parents and family audiences who expect the movie to be cheerful and light-hearted. Even though the story is very much different from your usual family-friendly or kids movies but personally I feel that the movie beautifully painted a light tone over serious topics and issues that it wanted to convey to audiences and that makes it a smart movie with great moral values, not just for kids but adult alike.

Image source: Tomorrowland website

4 ~ Star Wars: The Force Awakens


This movie is probably the most anticipated movie in 2015. Currently it is the number one movie of 2015 and the third highest-grossing movie of all time only behind Avatar and Titanic. I believe it's still playing in cinemas so it still got chance to dethrone Titanic and claim its number two spot. I actually had forgotten the storyline for past movies in the franchise but I'm glad that I'm still able to follow the story in this sequel with ease. I really like Daisy Ridley (played as Rey) and John Boyega (played as Finn) in this movie. Their interaction and friendship on screen is really something to admire. The character Maz Kanata (played by Lupita Nyong'o) was great too. It's a great movie overall and very enjoyable, so I can't wait to see how the story will develop in the next sequel, Star Wars Episode VIII, which is now scheduled for release in December 2017.

Image source: Star Wars website


3 ~ Inside Out


I think Inside Out is a sophisticated movie. The way the movie was told - not just with emotions as characters but also how feelings are represented by physical entities, like factories, and to show how they operate in a person's mind - are just brilliant. It was just so interesting and creative of them to came up with all these concepts but at the same time they managed to connect all of that with a good story and that makes the movie even more remarkable. The voice-acting were excellent too, and I particularly like the voice-acting for the character of Joy (voiced by Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader) and the human character Riley (Kaitlyn Dias). The film is currently the third-highest grossing Pixar movie behind Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo, and so far had accumulated around $856 million at the box-office.

Image source: Pixar website


2 ~ The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2


To be honest, I didn't really enjoyed Mockingjay Part 1. Although I still like the movie, I find it to be stretching the plot too thin with nothing much to contribute to the overall story arc. It just felt 'empty' in certain places. But I'm happy with how Mockingjay Part 2 turned out, I enjoyed it very much. I think people already know that despite being labelled as big blockbuster movies, this franchise has an underlying sophistication and depth to its story than just a standard popcorn film. The struggles, agony, sadness, guilt and conflicted feelings that Katniss had to go through in her unwilling participation of the war against the Capitol was really an incredible journey to watch, and the journey came to a satisfying conclusion with this movie.

Image source: The Hunger Games website


1 ~ Avengers: Age of Ultron


This film is so entertaining to watch. It had humour, suspense, action and sad moments in it, all well-balanced out in an interesting story with complicated characters. Oh yes, it may be a superhero, family-friendly movie but that doesn't mean that it's a dumb popcorn flick. There's a lot of depth in the story which I appreciated but it is a fun movie as well. Interestingly, the movie received quite a few complaints from fans; from making Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) as "damsel in distress" to Ultron as being not as great a villain as people expected it to be. I have to admit, it's not a perfect movie, but I just love the story and characters. And like I said, it's very entertaining! And that is why this is my number one movie for the year.

Image source: Marvel website


So that's the end of this chart. What do you think of my top 10 picks? Is there any of your favourite movies same as mine? I only watched 27 movies in cinemas in 2015 though so there's not a lot of variety to choose from. How many movies have you watch?

As you can see, all of my 10 favourite movies are mainstream movies and yes, I am just a regular moviegoer who loves blockbuster movies so that's pretty much explains it all. But once in awhile I do like to watch serious movies with heavy themes and stories as well but I didn't watch much of that last year. So hopefully in 2016 I will be able to spend some time watching those type of movies in between all of the blockbuster movies that I'm already set to watch. 2016 seems to be another big year for movies so I'm looking forward to another great year. :-)

No comments: