Tuesday, November 17, 2020

My Top 10 Movies for 2019 ~ No. 5 - No. 1

We're back with my list of 2019 top 10 films. We have covered the first half of the list in Part 1, and now let's cover the other half of the list. These are the movies at number 5 to 1.


No. 5 - The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Image source: Wikipedia

I love this film! The story is highly entertaining, funny and the songs are super addictive. It's just a perfect movie to watch together with family or friends. The film is still as quirky as the first one, in fact I'm surprised that the film still feels fresh despite already knowing the twist that happened in the end of the first film. Hats off to the creative team for that. Another thing that is super creative is the end credits scene. It's crazy to say that but it's true! The film itself is self-aware but the end credits scene takes it to another level. It's very amusing and humorous to watch. Even though I like it a lot, sadly the film didn't fare too well at the box office, only grossing around $190 million worldwide. That's very low compared to the first film.


No. 4 - Knives Out

Image source: Knives Out official site

It's a fantastic ensemble movie; Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette and many more starred in this amazing mystery whodunit movie. I particularly like the atmosphere of the movie; it feels cozy but at the same time you can feel the tension between the characters (well, they do fight a lot but it's entertaining to watch). The movie was a success for the studio and they are planning a sequel with the enigmatic private investigator Benoit Blanc (played marvellously by Daniel Craig) investigating another mystery. I really hope they can turn this into a popular franchise because I can see a great potential in it.


No. 3 - Escape Room

Image source: Wikipedia

This is a surprise entry even for me. I was really interested in the movie when I first saw the trailer but I didn't expect myself to fall in love with the film so much. I didn't recognize most of the cast but they are amazing in it. The characters were well realized and I was rooting for them to literally escape this crazy place. It's a small budget film but personally I feel it is still visually stunning and it feels cinematic, obviously they really make the most of their budget. The film grossed around $155 million worldwide which is considered very successful against its $9 million budget. A sequel is in active development and scheduled to be released in 2021.


No. 2 - Joker

Image source: Wikipedia

I still remember when I first heard about this project, I wonder if the film would work. I mean one of the interesting aspect about Joker is in his mystery background, of how he became the Joker, isn't it? Fast forward to a few years later, it seems like the movie did work out, it works out pretty darn well with the film being a box office juggernaut raking in more than $1 billion worldwide, and Joaquin Phoenix winning Best Actor at the Oscar with his performance, in addition to Best Original Score for Hildur Guðnadóttir. The film was also nominated for other major categories like Best Picture and Best Director. That really was a great achievement. The film has a slow pacing but I love every minute of it. The journey that the audience had together with Arthur Fleck is really something to behold, it's remarkable and also sad to see how someone who's trying to live his honest life being pushed to the limit by society. 


No. 1 - Weathering With You (Japan)

Image source: Wikipedia

The visuals on this film is simply amazing. The film deals a lot with weather (as the title suggests) and when it's time for raining scenes, the water animation just looks incredible, and when the rain stops and the sun begins to shine glistening the scenery which was drenched in heavy rain before, it was simply breathtaking to watch. While the animation is top notch, the same can be said of the story. It's engaging, inspiring, funny and heart-breaking, all wrapped up nicely in its plot. I think it's to be expected since this film is written and directed by Makoto Shinkai who brought us great anime films before like The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Your Name. If you haven't watch it, I highly recommended it.


Thank you for sticking till the end. Those are my top 10 films out of total 24 films that I've watched in cinemas in 2019. What is your 2019 number 1 film?

No comments: