Tuesday, January 5, 2016

My 2015 Top 20 Songs from K-pop Female Groups ~ No. 20 - No. 16

I think it's not too late for me to wish everyone Happy New Year 2016!

I will kick-start the new year with the annual countdown of my top 20 favourite songs from K-pop female groups for 2015. This is only the 3rd year I'm doing this chart (4th if you count my top 6 favourite K-pop female groups for 2012), if you like K-pop music then you might certainly enjoy these posts. For those who are not familiar with K-pop songs, it's alright to browse through really, who knows you might find some songs that you like.

I will be breaking this chart into 4 posts with 5 songs in each post. Without further delay, let's start counting down from number 20 to number 16.


20 - Girls' Generation ~ Catch Me If You Can

Left to right: Hyoyeon, Seohyun, Sooyoung, Sunny, Taeyeon, Yoona, Yuri and Tiffany

This is their first song as an 8-member group since the dismissal of Jessica Jung from Girls' Generation, and is their first Japanese comeback since Galaxy Supernova in late 2013. Although it's a Japanese comeback, but there are 2 versions of the song and music video available; Japanese and Korean version. I'm really impressed with the choreography, it was fantastic and they performed it very well too. Although I like the song a lot, I don't think I would have like it as much if I hadn't watch the music video the first time I listen to it, the music video did have some impact in my enjoyment of the song. So for first time listener, I would suggest to watch the music video instead of streaming it with audio only. Besides, the choreography is awesome, why would you want to miss that?


19 - Purfles ~ A Bad Thing

From left: Eun Yong, Geon Hee and Woo Young

I really love Purfles! They are a new group but their releases so far are all good. A Bad Thing is a slow song, not quite a ballad I would say, and although I rarely like a slow K-pop songs before, I do like this one a lot! It's a shame that they aren't as popular as some of the other new groups. I think they have some distinctive qualities in them that separate them from the rest of their competition but somehow that qualities haven't reach the mainstream K-pop lovers yet. Soon, I hope it will be soon....



18 - Berry Good ~ My First Love

From left: SeoYul, GoWoon, SeHyung (standing), Taeha and DaYe

Here is another slow song, and this one is a very powerful ballad. Berry Good had gone through some members change this year but the songs they released still captivated me just as much (or even more!) as their debut song. It's an emotional song with powerful melody. The producer who composed this song, Joo Tae Young, had passed away after struggling with cancer, making this song even more touching to hear. They delivered the song wonderfully, and their beautiful rendition had made one of the last song by Joo Tae Young something special.



17 - Laboum ~ Aalow Aalow

Top from left: Haein, Soyeon and Yujeong
Bottom from right: Yulhee, ZN and Solbin

I really love the 80's sound in this song. I read a comment saying that this song has that "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" vibe, and I have to agree, it does have that vibe. I think the group was quite popular when it first debut, but now after a few songs released, they seem to be drowning in a massive pool of girl groups. We have some great new debuts in 2015 and some of the popular groups make great comebacks in the same year too. It's definitely a competitive year but I hope they will eventually gain more fame and attention as they are one of the few groups with charming concepts out there that I like.



16 - 4Minute ~ Crazy

Clockwise from top left: Jiyoon, Sohyun, Hyuna and Gayoon
Center: Jihyun

Everyone went crazy over this song when it was first released but I have to say, I was not one of them. The song reminded me a lot to Hyuna's Red and I felt Crazy was like a downgrade version of the song, which was not true at all, because after awhile the song grew on me and made it into my top 20 list! It is an energetic song with crazy beats that will make you bop your head to the sound of the music. I have to say, 4Minute is one of the most consistent group in K-pop world, their songs are addictive and one you can still enjoy to even after years of its released. Incredible 4Minute, one of the best indeed!



So that's the first 5 songs in my chart. I will continue on with another 5 songs in the next post coming soon, if not already released. Check them out!

No comments: