Friday, February 5, 2016

What to watch? ~ 2016 movies: February

At first I thought I don't want to do this "What to Watch" type of post anymore because I want to focus on movie reviews and other stuffs like manga, books and video games, but then I thought maybe it's good for me to continue doing this since I like to keep track on movie release schedule anyway. So here we are again.

Before I begin, I need to put a note here and say that the release dates here (and for the subsequent monthly posts of "What to Watch") are mostly based on the US release dates unless otherwise stated.

So now let's take a look at some of the movies that will be released in February that look pretty interesting.


1) Hail, Caesar!


Release date: February 5, 2016
Cast: Josh Brolin, George Clooney, Scarlett Johansson, Ralph Fiennes, Alden Ehrenreich, Jonah Hill, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand, Channing Tatum, Alison Pill.

This looks like a fun movie and with an ensemble cast like that it should be interesting to watch. It is set in 1950's Hollywood though, and movies set in that era usually don't perform well in the Asian region, at least from what I can see from my own country. We'll see how this movie does when it opens in cinemas.

Watch Hail, Caesar! trailer here!


2) Misconduct


Release date: February 5, 2016
Cast: Josh Duhamel, Anthony Hopkins, Al Pacino, Malin Akerman, Julia Stiles, Alice Eve.

This movie will be released in limited release and also through video on demand in the US on the same day. Some might say it's a brilliant move seeing how small films like this usually open small in cinemas anyway, but they got Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins in the movie so I think the studio should at least have some faith in it and let it run in cinemas for a few week before release it on the small screen. I might watch this for Malin Akerman though, she's quite underrated as an actress if you asked me. But it seems she just play a small role here so...hhmm...let me think this through....

Watch Misconduct trailer here!

3) Deadpool


Release date: February 12, 2016
Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein, T. J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, Stefan Kapicic, Gina Carano.

While this film looks interesting, I'm still deciding whether I want to watch it or not. I don't mind if it's being R-rated and have a lot of swear words and dirty jokes (although I hope they are not a lot), I just scared that I won't like the story. While it's understandable that the character's personality is the number one priority that the studio needs to get right to please the fans, I hope they would balance that with a nice plot and characters development as well. This film get so much hype though, so I won't worry too much on its box-office performance.

Watch Deadpool trailer here!


4) Zoolander No. 2


Release date: February 12, 2016
Cast: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell, Penelope Cruz, Kristen Wiig, Christine Taylor, Fred Armisen, Benedict Cumberbatch.

I didn't even watch the first movie but I do want to see this. It looks funny and have quite an interesting cast. The story also doesn't look very hard for a new fan to follow, that they can just jump straight into the sequel without even knowing what happened in the first film. I'm most interested to see Kristen Wiig's character, I hope she did well.

Watch Zoolander No. 2 trailer here!


5) The Witch


Release date: February 19, 2016
Cast: Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie, Harvey Scrimshaw, Ellie Grainger, Lucas Dawson.

To be honest, this movie almost slip my radar. It seems small with only few filming locations but some of the shots from the trailer look quite good. While it's a horror film, the trailer seemed quite tame compared to the typical bloody and horrific scenes that we normally see in horror movies, but it still managed to give me chills. It also has that gloomy look to it that makes it look horrifying and disturbing. I'm not sure if it will be released in Malaysia which will be quite disappointing if it don't because the premise looks promising.

Watch The Witch trailer here!


6) Gods of Egypt


Release date: February 26, 2016
Cast: Brenton Thwaites, Gerard Butler, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Chadwick Boseman, Elodie Yung, Courtney Eaton, Geoffrey Rush.

This movie looks so colourful and full with CGI-laced action sequences. It got quite a backlash for its whitewashed casting when the trailer first came out but I think the movie will have not much of an issue here in the Asian region, provided the movie has a good story of course. The film is directed by Alex Proyas, and since I love I, Robot and Knowing which are the films he directed before, so I might check this one out when it is released.

Watch Gods of Egypt trailer here!


That's all for February 2016. Any movie you think I might had missed?

No comments: