Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Favourite Solo Songs from Spice Girls' Members

Spice Girls is arguably the ultimate girl group in the 90's. It was a very successful group with multiple hits songs and beloved by fans worldwide. Eventhough the members had since gone separate ways, each one of them had released several solo singles and albums of their own. Their solo songs might not be as popular as their songs as a group but they are some genuinely good songs nevertheless. So for this post, I will list my favourite solo songs from each members of the group. All of my favourite songs from them are old songs so if you are a fan of them from the beginning, these songs might bring nostalgic feelings for you. But if you haven't heard any of the songs before, then feel free to take a listen, you might actually like them.


Mel B @ Scary Spice: Tell Me

Mel B has been active with TV projects in recent years. She had her own reality show, she had participated in Dancing with the Stars, and had been involved as judge or coach/mentor in a lot of TV competition shows like The X Factor UK, America's Got Talent and The Voice Kids. She had released quite a few hits in her early solo career like "I Want You Back" with Missy Elliot, and the cover version of Cameo's "Word Up!". She has not been active in the music industry for awhile though with her last single being the 2013 song "For Once in My Life". My favourite solo song from Mel B is still "Tell Me" from her debut album, Hot. It's a nice, pop song that might not really standout among its contemporaries but still, I like it.


Geri Halliwell @ Ginger Spice: Mi Chico Latino

I'm having trouble picking my favourite song from Geri Halliwell. There are two other songs from her that I really like which are "Look at Me" and "It's Raining Men". But in the end, I have to pick "Mi Chico Latino". I listen to this song quite frequently when I was young, and the Latin-influenced song really make it somewhat different compared to her other releases. Being the first Spice Girl to leave the group, Geri Halliwell was quite successful as a solo singer. Her debut album, Schizophonic, sold around 3 million copies worldwide while her second studio album, Scream If You Wanna Go Faster, sold around 1.5 million copies worldwide.



Victoria Beckham @ Posh Spice: Out of Your Mind

I have to cheat a little for Victoria Beckham's song because this is actually a project by True Steppers and Dane Bowers with Victoria Beckham featured in it, so I think technically this is not actually her song. But the song was known as her first solo single and also as the solo Spice Girl single with the biggest first week sales in the UK, so.... I might not be cheating after all? She had not stayed long in the music industry as a solo singer but she did released some other songs like "Not Such An Innocent Girl", "A Mind of Its Own" and "Let Your Head Go" which are equally enjoyable but "Out Of Your Mind" is still her best song for me. She is now a big name in the fashion industry as a recognized fashion designer and style icon.



Melanie C @ Sporty Spice: Never Be the Same Again

Having sold more than 12 million records worldwide, Melanie C has the most successful solo career among all the Spice Girls. She had released a lot of songs but since I don't really follow much her music career, I only know a few of them like "Northern Star" and "Next Best Superstar". Among the songs that I am being exposed to though, I like her collaboration with Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes of TLC the most. The song titled "Never Be the Same Again" is taken from her solo debut album, Northern Star, was her first number one solo single and was co-written by herself. I love the song so much because it has that dreamy sound to it that makes me relax whenever I listen to it.



Emma Bunton @ Baby Spice: Take My Breath Away

I save the best for last. Among all of the solo songs from each of the Spice Girls' members, "Take My Breath Away" is definitely my favourite. It is such a sweet song and matched perfectly with Emma Bunton's vocal and image. Her UK number-one single, "What Took You So Long", and the fantastic song "Maybe" are some of the other songs from her that I love, but there's something about "Take My Breath Away" that makes it stood out to me the most. It is such a lovely song and I adore it tremendously.



Spice Girls is one of the best girl group that ever existed in the worldwide music industry. If you are not familiar with their solo songs, I hope this post will introduce some of the great songs that they had released. They are kind of old songs but definitely worth checking out. I hope you enjoy them!

No comments: