Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My 2014 Top 20 Songs from K-pop Girl Groups ~ No. 10 - No. 6

We have reached the top 10! Welcome to Part 3 of my top 20 songs from K-pop girl groups. So far we have counted down from number 20 to 16 in Part 1, and number 15 to 11 in Part 2. You may click in the respective parts if you missed any of them. Right now, let's begin counting down the lower half of my top 10 songs. Here are the songs from number 10 to number 6.


10 ~ Orange Caramel: My Copycat


Group: Orange Caramel
Track: My Copycat
Members: Raina, Nana, Lizzy
Watch My Copycat MV here!

It's the third Orange Caramel song in my top 20 list, making it the group with the most songs charted in this list. What can I say? They had released amazing songs in 2014, and with After School having a break, Orange Caramel is on hyperdrive and kept on releasing song after song, gaining more attention and definitely gathered more fans. My Copycat has an interesting concept for its music video, where viewers get to play "Spot the difference" games and try to find differences between scenes that were played out. It's fun, interactive, unique and very creative. While concept-wise I still think Catallena has the best one, but when it comes to the song itself, I have to say that I love My Copycat more than Catallena. It's a great song and very addictive. I just love it.


9 ~ Secret: I'm In Love


Group: Secret
Track: I'm In Love
Members: Jieun, Hyosung, Sunhwa, Hana
Watch I'm In Love MV here!

To be honest, I don't really follow Secret so I can be a bit clueless when it comes to their songs. But I do know that they are very popular and have a big following in South Korea as well as on the internet. This song of theirs caught my attention almost instantly. This is that type of song that can attract you even if you are not a fan of the group. I had in two occasions were asked about this song and who sing them when I played it out loud on my laptop, one of them rarely listen to K-pop no less, which just shows the attention-grabber tune this song have. It's a great pop song and the vocal performance by the members were amazing too, it certainly deserved every attention it gets. I'll be looking forward for their next comeback.

8 ~ f(x): Red Light


Group: f(x)
Track: Red Light
Members: Luna, Amber, Krystal, Victoria, Sulli
Watch Red Light MV here!

f(x) is one of those group that I wish had been more active in releasing new songs and music videos each year. In my opinion, they are a great group and one of a kind, so I would love to hear more that they could offer. But it seems their label, S.M. Entertainment, is focusing more on Girls' Generation than f(x) when it comes to new releases. Well, maybe the company have their own reasons, or maybe even f(x) themselves doesn't want to be promoted all that much...who knows! Talking about songs, their song Red Light is not your typical K-pop song. It is definitely something different not just from the songs of the other K-pop groups, but also from what they had released before. I didn't like it at first, but fortunately it grew on me and now it is one of my favourite song from them. They had always been consistent in releasing good songs each year so hopefully they will make a comeback with even more unique and fantastic songs.


7 ~ Girl's Day: Something


Group: Girl's Day
Track: Something
Members: Sojin, Hyeri, Minah, Yura
Watch Something MV here!

Yes, it's another song from Girl's Day in my chart. Girl's Day is one out of two groups that managed to have two songs listed in my Top 20. This song was released back in January 2014. It's a sexy song and has a sexy concept music video to go along with it. It's a slow song, almost like a ballad I would say but not quite. It is reported that this song is their highest-charting single so far, and rightly so I might add since it is a great song. I would say that they have become ever more popular by each new release since the song Expectation in 2013 (which tops my 2013 chart by the way). I wish they would surprise us again with another great song and great concept in their next comeback. All the best Girl's Day!


6 ~ Ladies' Code: Kiss Kiss


Group: Ladies' Code
Track: Kiss Kiss
Members: Ashley, Zuny, Sojung, RiSe, EunB
Watch Kiss Kiss MV here!

The other group beside Girl's Day that have two songs in my chart is Ladies' Code. I've stated this previously but I thought I might need to state it again; if you haven't read about the tragic accident that happened to this group, you might want to click here for my simple post about it, or you might just want to Google it up. Now back to the song. Some people commented that Kiss Kiss sounds too much like their other song, Pretty Pretty. I kind of agree, but even with some similarities, I feel like this is a much stronger song than Pretty Pretty, I don't even like Pretty Pretty that much. But I do love this song for sure! Kiss Kiss is an excellent song with a bit of humour in it, even the music video is fun to watch. The concept for the music video is great, and it's very inviting too visually with its colourful settings, and not to forget the simple and funny choreography. It is truly a great production, one that suited very well with the song. Great job Ladies' Code (and all the crew that involved with the song and music video). We will miss you dearly.


If you are still here, then thank you for reading until the end of Part 3 of my top 20 chart. Next stop will be the top 5. If you want to know who will be at the top, stay tune for my final post coming soon.


[UPDATE] Part 4 is finally available! Click here to continue counting down the chart.

No comments: