Sunday, January 11, 2015

My 2014 Top 10 Films ~ No. 10 - No. 6

It's that time again where I list down my top 10 favourite films of the year. I've seen a lot of people posted their own version of top 10 films of the year on the internet lately. So here is my top 10 list. For the record, I've only watched 26 films in the cinemas in 2014, down from the 30+ films that I've watched in 2013. Although it's not much, I'm still taking my time to list it down, making sure I consider every film that I watched carefully, since I love quite a few of them. It's still a fun thing to do though. I will break the post/chart in two parts, and in this first part are my favourite films from number 10 to number 6. Without further delay, let's begin.


10 - Big Hero 6


This is the follow-up movie from Walt Disney Animation Studios after the highly successful Frozen released back in 2013. It's pretty hard to match the success of Frozen, don't you think so? It's already January 2015 and people are still talking about Frozen...but not much being said about Big Hero 6. Well, don't let the popularity status of a movie fool you. Eventhough Big Hero 6 had not received as much hype as Frozen, it is still an entertaining movie, one that have an emotional journey of a character that audiences worth tagging along with. Underneath all the colourful visuals and the superheroes vibe, is a movie about a young boy trying to overcome his grief over losing his older brother, and there are quite a few touching moments in the movie, I might add. It has good moral values for children and enjoyable to adults too, an excellent recipe for a good family movie. It raked in more than $370 million in worldwide box office and received critical acclaim as well. I wonder if they would make a sequel out of it?

Image source from Big Hero 6 official website.


9 - The Maze Runner


This film is good! I like the story with its suspense, mysteries and twists in the plot, I like the settings as well as the casts too. It was an enjoyable film which by the end of it, it made me want more. I want to know what will happen to the characters next. Well, it looks like I won't have to wait long as the sequel for the film, The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, is set to release in September 2015. 20th Century Fox, the studio behind the film, was so confident that the film would become a success (which it did, and started a new franchise for the studio) that they decided to move ahead with the sequel even before this film was released in theaters. It's good that the studio believe in the franchise but at the same time I hope the sequel won't become a rushed product and would be as good (if not better) as its predecessor. Let's hope for the best for this new franchise.

Image source from The Maze Runner official website.



8 - X-Men: Days of Future Past


The last X-Men movie that I saw at the cinema (with an ensemble mutant team, mind you...so let's take The Wolverine out of this) was X-Men: First Class back in 2011. I kind of missed them, I hope they could churn out this movies more frequent. Nevertheless, it seems like the wait was worth it as X-Men: Days of Future Past is a marvelous X-movie. The movie has good story, great characters and visually stunning, it also had one of the best trailer (I'm referring to the third official trailer) that I've seen in 2014. Director Bryan Singer and the entire team of this movie had done a great job in delivering the highest-grossing X-Men movie so far earning more than $700 million worldwide, and what had become one of my favourite movie of the year (obviously!). One of my favourite scene in the movie was the big battle between the mutants and the robot Sentinels in the future timeline, that entire scene was pretty awesome. Personally, I always feel that one particular mutant would always stands out visually in a Bryan Singer-directed X-Men movie; in the first X-Men movie that would be Mystique, while Nightcrawler would be the standout mutant in X2: X-Men United. This time, I would give the crown to Blink. Quicksilver had an amazing scene in the movie too but Blink's purple power to create portals for teleportation looked really beautiful on screen, so I have to go with her. I wonder what would be in store in the next sequel, X-Men: Apocalypse? And which mutant would stand out next?

Image source from the movie official website.


7 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes


This is one of the most emotional film that I watched in 2014. There were quite a few powerful scenes in the movie, and to think that almost half of the film casts were acting in motion-capture made it even more impressive. This sequel to the Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the film that rebooted the Planet of the Apes film series, made around $700 million worldwide, which is better than its predecessor that raked in nearly $500 million worldwide at the box office. It is critically beloved too, with major critics praised the performances of the motion-capture actors, along with its story and special effects. A third film is currently in planning with an announced released date of July 14, 2017. Yes, 2017! Still a long way to go. But the husband-and-wife duo Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver who co-wrote this film with Mark Bomback won't be returning to write the third film. Both of them are important people behind this rebooted film series since both of them also wrote the screenplay for the first film. Well, we just have to wait and see how the third film turns out to be, hopefully it will be as critically acclaim and successful at the box office as the two of its predecessors were. All the best!

Image source from the film official website.


6 - The Lego Movie


I have to admit that sometimes I did not like the action sequences in this movie because the Lego pieces were animated too fast that it made me confused while watching the scenes. I also sometimes could not understand the jokes that were told in the film; maybe the characters talk too fast or the root of the jokes were related to something that I'm not familiar with. But there is something so special about the ending of this movie, and the overall message that it wants to deliver, that made me fall in love with this movie and placed it on number 6 in my favourite film of the year list. It was heart-warming and was a nice twist that awarded audiences with a satisfying ending. To be fair, I still enjoy the movie as a whole, so it's not like I only like the ending and not the rest of the movie. No! It was nothing like that. The characters were funny, the visuals were nice that I feel like I wanted to play with the Lego pieces myself, and the creativity in telling the story and to connect the adventure of the main character, Emmet, with the real world we are living in, was something really special and spectacular. Kudos to the entire team behind this amazing animation movie! Oh, I almost forgot to mention the song "Everything is Awesome!!!" that was featured in the movie. It was indeed an awesome song. Love it!

Image source from The Lego Movie official website.


And so with that, we come to the end of part 1. What do you think of my list so far? The top 5 films will be revealed in part 2 which I will post soon. Stay tune! :-)

No comments: