Thursday, January 1, 2015

My 2014 Top 20 Songs from K-pop Girl Groups ~ No. 20 - No. 16

Happy New Year 2015! I hope everyone get to enjoy their new year celebration, if you went to any. Me? I'm just celebrating my new year at the comfort of my home, counting down my top 20 songs from K-pop girl groups for 2014, which I'm going to share with you right now. This is my second year of doing this chart (third time if you count the group-based chart which I did for 2012), and this time I'm going to separate the chart into 4 different posts/parts. For this first part, I introduce you the songs from number 20 to number 16. Let's begin!


20 ~ HelloVenus: Sticky Sticky


Group: HelloVenus
Track: Sticky Sticky
Members: Alice, Nara, Lime, Yooyoung, Seoyoung, Yeoreum
Watch Sticky Sticky MV here!

HelloVenus was formerly a group formed with members from two companies; Fantagio and Pledis Entertainment, but after the latter decided not to continue in this joint venture project anymore, HelloVenus is now under full control of Fantagio. Because of that, Yooara and Yoonjo, which are under Pledis Entertainment are no longer part of the group and Fantagio replacing them with two new members; Seoyoung and Yeoreum. Their comeback with this new song, Sticky Sticky, featured a sexy concept which is totally different and way more edgy than the cute concept that they were popularly known before. Personally, I don't mind with this sexy concept that they are going with (it's not too sexy anyway). What's more important is the song which I find to be quite good. The beat is nice and there are parts that are catchy, the only problem I have are the lyrics which I think might be too sexy? Well, as long as you don't understand the meaning to the song, I think it should be fine. By the way, Alice looks so beautiful in the music video, you should definitely check it out.


19 ~ Kiss&Cry: Domino Game


Group: Kiss&Cry
Track: Domino Game
Members: Bohye, Dia, Soyumi, Haena
Watch Domino Game MV here!

It's an odd name for a group, nevertheless, this group showed so much potential through the song's music video; excellent vocals, fantastic dancing skills and great stage presence. The song itself sounds very good too, which to me have a bit of Latin influence to it. It was the group's debut song, so with such a strong debut, one would think that the group might go far, right? Well, it might not be that smooth sailing for the group. There were rumors saying that the group had disbanded, and I think even one of the members was said to have left the group. The company that managed the group denied the allegations though, but which one is true? Had the group disbanded or are they still together? Let's just hope for the best for this group, in the mean time, enjoy the song for what it is.

18 ~ Bob Girls: No Way


Group: Bob Girls
Track: No Way
Members: Dahye, Yujeong, Jina, Danbi
Watch No Way MV here!

Another group with an odd name. But for the record, the company who managed them said that the group's name is not just about a woman's hairstyle, but it's about woman's transformation. Hmm...not too bad to describe a group. Bob Girls is Crayon Pop's sister group since they are from the same company, Chrome Entertainment, and this is the group's debut song. It's a slow song, but it's not a ballad (at least I don't feel it is). The song sounds simple and nothing too fancy, but the simplistic of the song is what made me fall in love with it. The members have good vocals that fit the song very well. Opposite to Crayon Pop though, the group's concept is much more simple and, should I say, more generic (to suit the song I guess). It's not a bad thing and I believe they have much more up their sleeve which we will (hopefully) see in their future releases. As of now, simple is good enough for them. I wish them all the best for their careers!


17 ~ 4Minute: Whatcha Doin' Today


Group: 4Minute
Track: Whatcha Doin' Today
Members: Jihyun, Gayoon, Jiyoon, Sohyun, Hyuna
Watch Whatcha Doin' Today here!

This is definitely one of the most catchy and upbeat song on this list. It has such an addictive sound to it that make you want to just get up and dance. 4Minute always known for their funky style and I think this song with the accompanied music video further showed that. I love the silliness each member showed throughout the music video too, and each of them seem to have such a good time, which makes this song even more interesting. If you study the lyrics, then you will find out that the song is about having fun in life and breaking free from the tedious everyday work. Now you know why they are having such fun in the music video, right? Now don't you feel like you want to dance to this song?


16 ~ Girl's Day: I Miss You


Group: Girl's Day
Track: I Miss You
Members: Sojin, Minah, Yura, Hyeri
Watch I Miss You here!

Girl's Day is one of the popular girl groups these days that I feel like every single song that they released will definitely become a hit. They had released some impressive songs before but usually there are upbeat songs, or mid-tempo. I Miss You, on the other hand, is a powerful ballad, that showed their vocal range and abilities in singing. It's a beautiful song and would certainly make them even more beloved by their fans. I love the music video for this song too, such a well-made video that provide great visuals to accompany the song, and each one of the members looked beautiful in it too. Girl's Day released 3 songs (with music video I mean) this year, including I Miss You, and with this song make it in my list, would the other 2 will? Stay tune to my chart to find out.


That's all for part 1 for this personal chart of mine. If you want to find out what are the rest of the songs would be, then I see you again in part 2 which I would post soon. See you there.


[UPDATE] Part 2 is available! Click here to continue counting down the chart.

No comments: