Friday, December 19, 2014

My 2014 Fave Solo Songs from K-pop Girl Group's Members

This will be my second year doing a top 20 list of my favourite songs from K-pop girl groups, but while I'm finalizing the chart, I thought maybe I should post something about solo songs from member (or former member) of K-pop girl groups too. There are some pretty impressive songs this year so I would list here two standouts which are my personal favourites, and both songs happen to be their respective solo debut. Who are they? Read on to find out.


Nicole


Nicole was a former member of KARA. I'm not sure what led to her leaving her former agency and, ultimately, her group but one thing I'm sure of is that I like her more being a solo artist than a member of a girl group. Somehow I always felt like she was being overshadowed by the other members of KARA and only now I can truly see her talent. I love her debut song, 'Mama', and she has a nice voice which I never noticed before too. She can also rap and has great dancing skills. I love Nicole and seriously I think she has huge potential to become a successful solo artist, so I wish her all the best with her solo career. She was born and raised in the US so may I suggest she expand to promote her music internationally with English songs?

Watch 'Mama' by Nicole.


HA:TFELT


"Who?" you might ask. That was the exact same thing on my mind when I first saw the music video too. I couldn't recognize the name although I knew who was singing the song on my computer screen. Why would Yeeun (or better known as Yenny in English market), one of the member of Wonder Girls, use such an odd name to debut as a solo singer? After some digging, I found out from one of her interview that she wanted to be known as a different artist than she was when she's in Wonder Girls hence she opted for a different name. I also think I read somewhere before that she used HA:TFELT as her pseudonym when she composed songs? I'm not sure about that though. While I may have been quite skeptical about her new name, I undoubtedly cannot deny that her debut song, 'Ain't Nobody', is such a beautiful and powerful song. I've never knew she's such a great composer. The song is great and she sounds great singing it too. I hope she would release more solo songs in the future because this girl have mad potential, that's for sure!

Watch 'Ain't Nobody' by HA:TFELT.


So what do you think about these two solo debuts? There are many other solo efforts from members of K-pop girl groups in 2014. Which are your favourites? Or if you are new to K-pop, do you find these two songs that I've listed here interesting?

No comments: