Friday, January 30, 2015

My 2014 Top 10 Films ~ No. 5 - No. 1

Hello there! Welcome to the second part of my top 10 movies of 2014. This is where finally I'm revealing my top 5 films of the year. If you missed out the films I've listed at number 10 to 6, you might want to check Part 1 of the post. To continue to my top 5, read on below.


5 - Gone Girl


I went to see this movie because there were a lot of talks about the twist that was featured in it, and it got me curious. What the twist is about? And who killed the wife? After watching it, I must say that I like the movie a lot, more than I expect I would. To be honest, when the twist was finally revealed, I was satisfied with it and thought that it was the end of the movie, I was even ready to walk out of the cinema. Little did I know that it wasn't the end, and I still got almost half of the movie left. Eventhough the movie felt long to me, it was worth a journey to take, and the part after the twist was revealed was even more crazy and satisfying to watch. I have to admit, my jaw dropped a few times during this part of the movie. It was seriously insane! - in a good kind of way of course. I really like Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike performances in this movie, they were really great. The rest of the cast were good too, especially the main supporting cast which include Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, Tyler Perry and Neil Patrick Harris. Gone Girl had been received well among critics, and it has been commercially successful too, garnered more than $350 million worldwide.

Image source from Gone Girl official website.


4 - Interstellar


I love movies about space exploration, how humans venture into the unknown and try to solve the mysteries of the universe, or simply trying to find another planet for humans to live. That is why I love Prometheus, the 2012 Ridley Scott's movie eventhough the plot was a bit confusing. But Interstellar is more than just a sci-fi movie about space exploration, it is also a movie about relationship between a father and his daughter. There were quite a few touching moments between the main character Cooper, played by Matthew McConaughey, and his daughter Murphy played by Mackenzie Foy as young Murph (she's really amazing in this film, by the way) and Jessica Chastain as adult Murph. Not just that, they were some emotional scenes between other characters too. It's amazing to think that I could love Interstellar as a drama as much as I love it as a science fiction movie. And talking about science fiction, this film doesn't disappoint in that regard as well. Christopher Nolan, the director and co-writer of the movie, as well as the crews that involved in it, want to achieved a sci-fi movie as close to reality that they could, meaning that they want to portray the science aspect of it as accurate as possible. That was quite a huge goal to achieve given the ambitious story they were trying to tell. I'm no scientist, but as an average moviegoer, I'm happy with the result; it tried to explain to me all this science theories but at the same time it doesn't forget the development and emotional weight of the characters. Quite a brilliant movie, I might add.

Image source from Interstellar official website.

3 - Guardians of the Galaxy


This is another movie set in space, but it's not about space exploration but more towards action-adventure type of film. Guardians of the Galaxy is the 4th movie in Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and the second movie under the MCU banner to be released in 2014. It was truly a fun ride watching this movie in the cinema, jumping from one fantastical setting to another. The story was good with action and humour, and oh the visual effects, not just for the action sequences and settings but also the make-up on the actors to portray these characters of different beings, they were extraordinarily done. Nebula, Ronan and Drax are my favourite characters design from the film, they look so surreal, especially for Nebula (played by Karen Gillan) and Ronan (played by Lee Pace) that I could not even recognised the actors beneath the heavy make-up. And not to forget the CGI characters, Rocket Raccoon and Groot, who looked so alive that I could believe both of them were real. This movie proved Marvel properties box-office muscles yet again when it raked in more than $750 million worldwide, and further strengthen the Marvel brand.

Image source from the movie official website.


2 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier


Here's another Marvel movie which placed second on my 2014 favourite movie list. It's the 3rd movie in Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and the first one to be released in 2014. I love this movie a lot, more so than I expected since I don't really like the first movie, which I didn't even see at the cinema. And yet, the sequel was a bit different and so refreshing than any Marvel movie in the MCU that I've watched before that made me fall in love with it. It's action-packed, yet it is also thought-provoking, and not your average superhero movie. The producer of the film and head of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, had stated that Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a "70's political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie", so there's no wonder that the movie felt different than the rest of its predecessors, in a good way of course. I really like the action sequences in this movie, and you can see a lot of them were very practical instead of computer-generated, which is something that should be praised since movies in the MCU usually relied heavily on special effects for their action sequences. The film was critically acclaimed with much praised given to the directors, Anthony and Joe Russo, for taking this movie to a higher standard than your typical big-budgeted, popcorn movie. It was commercially successful too, grossing more than $700 million worldwide. With much success, a sequel is underway to be directed by the same directors of this movie. Titled Captain America: Civil War, the sequel is coming your way in 2016.

Image source from the movie official website.


1 - Edge of Tomorrow


The film that placed at the top of my list is Edge of Tomorrow. Why? Because it is an awesome movie, that's why. I had so much fun watching it in the cinema; I laughed at the humour, I felt sad at the predicament that befall the characters, and I was excited with all the action sequences. It was definitely a fun viewing experience for me, and I love it, I mean REALLY love it a lot! I personally like the alien design in this movie, it's very different than what I usually see in science fiction movies, and it's very inventive too. Sadly though, this movie, which was based on a Japanese light novel titled All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, was not performing as strong as the studio expected it to perform, grossing around $369 million worldwide against $178 million budget. It's sadden me to see that the movie is under-performed and under-appreciated despite having a solid story, great acting from both the main actors, Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, and fantastic visuals. Nevertheless, the movie did received quite a few praised from critics, so at least it was not all lost for this movie. Have you watched this movie? If you haven't, I recommend you to watch it. It's really a fun movie to watch and who knows, you might like it too.

Image source from Edge of Tomorrow official website.


We have come to the end of the chart. As mentioned, if you had missed number 10 to number 6 films that I've listed, you may check the first part of this post by clicking the link on top of this post.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: