Sunday, March 22, 2009

Race to Witch Mountain ~ review





I love Septimus Heap & Pendragon book series. I love manga, anime and cartoon. And I love Mickey Mouse and all his famous friends. As you can see, I'm very tolerable when it comes to kids-related stuff and so one would expect me to love Race to Witch Mountain, a Disney movie. I was expecting the same thing but unfortunately, I didn't.

Race to Witch Mountain is another remake from Hollywood starring Dwayne Johnson (or you may know him as The Rock) as Jack Bruno the taxi driver, AnnaSophia Robb as Sara the alien daughter, Alexander Ludwig as Seth the alien son, Carla Gugino as Dr. Alex Friedman the ET scientist, and Ciaran Hinds as Henry Burke the government agent.

The story is quite good and suitable for kids, and the acting is also good especially from both the alien kids. What I have problem with is the special-effects. Being a Disney movie, this movie SHOULD have good if not great special-effects to wow the audience with the visuals. Early in the movie there is one cool scene involving Seth and a black car which made a girl seating behind me said out loud "That's so cool!". So I expected that the rest of the movie will be just fine. However, right before the end of it, there is one scene involving the 4 protagonists that made me go "Wow, that is one ugly special effects". I mean, seriously, it was ugly and unacceptable. I know it's a movie for kids but that's not an excuse. Futhermore, there are some outdoor scenes that looks like they were shot in studio. I'm not sure whether they were shot in a studio or not but somehow they managed to made the movie looks kinda cheap which I know it's not.

However, having said all that, Race to Witch Mountain IS a suitable movie for kids and adults (especially parents) alike. Just don't expect too much of it. Or you will be dissapointed...just like me.

No comments: