Friday, December 5, 2008

Quarantine ~ review




Honestly, this movie creeps me out. I mean, I was scared watching this. Seriously. The story is good, the acting is good (although my sister said that Jennifer Carpenter was a bit overacting which is fine by me looking at the situations her character was put into) and the suspense is real. I was really sad for all the occupants of the apartment building. They didn't deserve this. At least send a rescue team.

Quarantine, a Hollywood remake of the Spanish movie REC, tells a story about a reporter Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter) and her cameraman Scott Percival (Steve Harris) who were filming a show featuring firemen at night shift. They followed 2 firemen, Fletcher (Johnathon Schaech) and Jake (Jay Hernandez), to an apartment complex after an emergency call. In one of the apartment room, they found Mrs. Espinoza covered in blood and look kinda sick with heavy breathing and angst. Then, chaos. One by one got bitten and turned into this angry blood-sucking human. They tried to escape but they can't because the building had been sealed by the authorities and they had been put under quarantine.

Although it was suggested that the virus that were infecting them were some kind of rabies, but they behave more like a zombie if u ask me, which is what this movie is about, zombies! You have to come up with your conclusion by the way because the movie doesn't really explain much about what was going on.

There are several things I like about this movie. First, the apartment. Some shots in this movie really reminded me of the first Resident Evil game, which I love. While the characters exploring different rooms of the building, I felt like I was playing the game, which was really cool. Second, the acting. It felt real and I was in a panic mode too, just like the characters. They really did a good job. And third, the suspense. There are a lot of scary scenes in this movie that might just make you jump-off your seat. I know I did...well, actually I'm not too sure whether it was me or the guy next to me. Haha!

However, there is one bad point. This movie is shot like the Blair Witch Project style so it would be more real if the actors are not well-known. Of course the actors did well with their acting, but since this is like reality TV, so I would prefer unknown actors, with acting skills as good as the well-known actors of course. I honestly feel like the events in Cloverfield are more real since I didn't know the actors, so I felt like watching 'real' people fighting through disaster.

But, that aside, this movie is a must-watch for a horror fan. Really creepy, really scary, suspenful, awesome. A minus for almost perfect...for me at least.

No comments: