Sunday, September 26, 2021

My 2020 Top 60 Songs: The Best From K-pop Female Groups ~ No. 30 - No. 21

Here's Part 4! We're past halfway through the list now so I hope I can finish this soon because 2022 is almost upon us and I'm still on the 2020 list. Okay, let's do this, let's go through the songs from number 30 until 21.




This is definitely edgier than what they used to release but I like it. It reminded me of their debut song, I Don't Like Your Girlfriend, which is also a lot edgier compared to their other songs like Picky Picky and Dazzle Dazzle. The styling for this music video is great too, I like the look that they went with.




This is a very strong debut. Seriously, they look like they have been in the industry for awhile but it's actually their debut. I like the concept and styling for the girls in the music video, but what I really find impressive is the camerawork for it especially when the camera followed them when they are dancing, it makes the music video somewhat unique for me. Also what's with the silhouette at the end? Are they hinting at a fifth member joining the group?




How You Like That is the lead single from Blackpink's first Korean studio album. It's fun, it's funky, and has Blackpink's signature all over it, and what I mean by that is when you listen to the song, you know it's from the group because it has that sound that is familiar to them.




At first listen, this song sounds a bit messy and it's a bit hard to catch up on the rhythm, but I must admit by the end of that first listen itself, I'm in love with the song. It's super catchy! The title means confusing so I think it makes sense for it to sound like it is although I would now refer to it as whimsical instead of messy. Some may cringe at some part of the song especially at the aegyo part but personally I don't have any issue with it.




I'm so glad with Brave Girls' sudden rise of popularity because I have been loving this group for quite some time. Besides from Rollin' which is the song that shot them to superstardom, We Ride is another great song from them. It's a retro city-pop dance song with a retro-styled music video that accompanied the track. This was their first release in almost three years and I think they would have been disbanded if not for their sudden rise to fame. Whoever made that viral video of them singing Rollin' to the South Korean soldiers, thank you!




It seems like Twice has been working non-stop, releasing song after song, from Korean to Japanese and back to Korean releases again. I hope they do get some rest in between releases. With that said, I think this is such a good song. It's a bit fast paced, it's catchy and I like the choreography too. It's great but then again, it's Twice, so I shouldn't be so surprise, they always release good songs.




This is an English song, and the English version of the song "Voice" from their third mini-album [12:00]. Personally, this song sounds more like a western song than it is K-pop but I think that make sense since this is a response to the support that the group has been receiving globally. I do wonder though, is LOONA more popular internationally than in their home country?




At first, I thought I wouldn't like this debut song from Weeekly but eventually I warm up to it, it is actually quite good. To be honest, I got quite addicted to it, listening to the song almost every day for months. This is second female group from Play M Entertainment in 10 years after Apink so I think they have a lot of expectations to met being a junior group to an established group. But I think they are doing quite alright and have surpassed beyond anyone's expectation.




The lead single from their very first mini-album titled Reminiscence, Dun Dun is an addictive dance track which has an international mainstream appeal to it like most of their releases before that. I think maybe that is why they have quite a big international fan base? The music video for Dun Dun is quite gorgeous too with striking looks for each of the girls, and interesting choreography.




Another debut song in my list! This is the third debut song in this Part 4 post alone which just shows you that so many girl groups are debuting each year. Yeah, it can be pretty overwhelming when you try to keep up. Anyway, I like this song a lot; it is very addictive, easy on the ears and a pretty cute song too. I'm not a big fan of the choreography but overall the music video looks great too.


We have finished Part 4...now I'm going to work on the next part so I'll see you soon.

For your easy reference, you can check out previous posts from the list below;

No comments: