Sunday, April 22, 2012

American Idol 11 Top 6 analysis

The elimination of Colton Dixon was shocking to me as he had never been in the bottom 3 before, but I think it was kind of justified as he did performed badly for his first performance, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Well, at least I think he murdered the song but the judges loved his rendition of it, kind of got me confused a little. Colton did have many good performances on the show though, which made me sad to see him leave. Anyway, there are 6 contestants left. Who will be crowned the winner of American Idol 11? Here's my look on each of the contestants;

Skylar Laine

She is one of the most interesting contestants to me this season. She got some type of attitude and energy that she released every time she performed. She's a born performer, that's for sure. I wasn't even noticed her before the Top 13 started but after it started, she blew me away with her performances week after week. She's just fantastic. Some of my favourite performances from her are Gunpowder & Lead (from Miranda Lambert) and Wind Beneath My Wings (from Roger Whittaker).

Hollie Cavanagh

She's so cute and petite, she had strong vocals and she can sings really well. Unfortunately in this Top 6, I think she is the weakest in term of performance. It's not that her performances were bad, it's just that they were less great compared to her peers on the show. But she seemed to redeem herself with her songs in 2nd week of Top 7, where she sang Rolling in the Deep (by Adele) and Son of a Preacher Man (by Dusty Springfield). I really like the latter a lot. Hopefully she can improve herself more next week.

Elise Testone

My favourite contestant of the show this year. She had that sexy and sultry voice that can make any song sounds good. Unfortunately, she had been a regular resident of the Bottom 3. I don't think it's because people don't like her performances, but maybe because other contestants have more fans than her. It's as simple as that. I like almost all of her performances, but one of my favourite is Whole Lotta Love (by Led Zeppelin) that she performed during Top 9 show.

Jessica Sanches

The contestant that judges had used the Judge's Save on to save her from being eliminated last 2 weeks. She's one of the youngest on the show but she sings like a pro. She's madly talented! Her Top 13 performance of I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston was one of the best this season. Although I'm not sure how she got the lowest vote in the first Top 7 result show, but she's surely a frontrunner on the show.

Joshua Ledet

Okay, so everybody knows how great he is; he has powerful vocals, he sings amazingly well and he can really put on a show. But I'm a little turned off sometimes because he tends to go a little too much, or should I say a little over the top with his performances. But the judges always praise him, so I guess it's fine then. My favourite performance from Joshua is Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars.

Phillip Phillips

Phillip Phillips is a talented musician and he's the most unique contestant on the show this season. He is also the only contestant on the show this year that hasn't been in the Bottom 3 yet. He always put on a great show and he's just loveable. He could win this year, yes, he could possibly do that. I think all his performances were great, and my favourite is when he performed U Got It Bad by Usher in the 2nd week of Top 7. He's just great.

So that's my review of the remaining Top 6 contestants of American Idol season 11. So who's your favourite? And who do you think will win this year?

Animated icons are from American Idol website.

No comments: