Saturday, July 26, 2014

E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) 2014 ~ 10 exciting new games (Part 1)

I love too many things; music, movies, manga, anime to name a few, that sometimes I just have to give up on certain things. One of it is video games. I love to play video games but I'm like two generations behind when it comes to actually playing them. Yes, I'm still playing on my PlayStation 2 console and I don't see myself upgrading it to PlayStation 3. What about PlayStation 4? Haha! In my dreams maybe. Personally I feel that playing video games is an expensive hobby (I believe I mentioned this before in my blog) and with my money spent mostly on movies and manga, there's hardly a chance I will be playing new-generation video games anytime soon. But I still update myself with video games news, especially anything about upcoming video games from interesting franchise.

Talking about video games, one have to mention E3 which is the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the annual trade show for the video games industry. The 20th E3 was held on June 10 until June 12, 2014 at Los Angeles Convention Center. While I'm not physically there, I did browse the games that we featured there through the videos that were posted on YouTube and I have to say, there are quite some interesting titles that were introduced. So let's check out 10 games that I think look interesting and promising. I didn't watch every video game trailers though so my list would only confined to those that I had been exposed to. To make this post more bearable, I sliced the post into 2 parts with each part listing 5 games. So let's begin part 1!


Alien: Isolation


I love horror video games so let's start with one. Alien: Isolation is a survival horror game developed by The Creative Assembly, will be published by Sega and is a part of the Alien franchise. Set 15 years after the event of the very first Alien movie, the player will take on the role of Amanda, Ellen Ripley's daughter (Ellen Ripley is the main character of the Alien franchise played by Sigourney Weaver for those who don't know or may have forgotten about her) in search of her missing mother. The game looks stunning visually and the gameplay looks pretty scary, players would have to use stealth tactics to avoid being caught by the alien in the game. Looking at the trailer of the game kind of reminded me of Dead Space, a popular recent survival horror video games series. Would this game be as popular as the Dead Space franchise? You can check out the video game trailer to Alien: Isolation here.


ABZU


Nothing much is revealed in this video game trailer; no explanation on the story or what it's about. All it showed were picturesque settings where a character can be seen swimming under the sea. And let me tell you what a beautiful footage they were, totally breathtaking! With unique style of animation and striking colours, the visual alone makes me excited for this video game. To be honest, I'm not sure if these settings are just concept art for the game or the actual footage from the gameplay. Either way, I'm still excited to know more about this game. ABZU is developed by Giant Squid studio and will debut exclusively on PlayStation 4. You can check out the amazing video trailer of ABZU by clicking here.


The Evil Within


I posted about this game before in my blog, you can click here to read more about it. At this year E3 event, the developer showed more gameplay footage of the game and it looks pretty awesome. I love horror games and it looks like Shinji Mikami would be bringing survival horror genre back to its root with this game; more emphasize on fear and less on action. It looks genuinely scary with dark corridors, old buildings and twisted apocalyptic-like environment. Not to forget the scary creatures and sadistic traps. Oh what a nightmare these characters had to go through! Seems like the developer is going all out with this game, and if they did this right, the survival horror fans would certainly be happy. You can check out the trailer to The Evil Within here.


Dead Island 2


Techland, the studio which originally developed Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide, had left the franchise to work on another project. So the publisher, Deep Silver, had to get another developer, Yager Development, to develop this video game sequel. The trailer looks quite different compared to the trailer that came out when the first video game was released, this one is more light-hearted than the original more emotional trailer of the first game. Considering how many gamers were disappointed that the actual gameplay of Dead Island is nothing like what they were expecting when watching the trailer, I think it was a right strategy to go with this "fun" aspect of the game to promote this follow-up than taking the same emotional route like with the first game. But still, I think some gamers would need to see some gameplay footage to be convinced to buy this game. I'm still excited though. To view the trailer of Dead Island 2, you can click here.


Uncharted 4: A Thief's End


This is yet another trailer with no actual gameplay footage featured at E3 this year, but considering how popular and great the past games in this franchise had become, it's no wonder why some people can be excited even with just a teaser trailer like this, myself included! Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, will be coming exclusively to PlayStation 4 and expected to be released in 2015. The trailer looks absolutely gorgeous and you can see the studio is definitely taking advantage of the next-gen console capabilities. In this game, players will get to play as Nathan Drake yet again as he go on his most greatest adventure yet. Sounds intriguing! To view the stunning trailer of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, please click here.


So, what do you think of the 5 games that I've listed in this post? Is there any one that you interested in as well? I hope you will come back to check out Part 2 of the post with another 5 games that had caught my attention. See you then!

No comments: