Sunday, January 5, 2014

My 2013 Top 10 Films ~ No. 10 - No. 6

I know it's a bit late but, Happy New Year 2014!!! It is time once again to list my top 10 favourite movies of 2013. You would find a lot of lists from a lot of different people out there, so this is my list that you are about to read based on my own personal preference. I would split the list into two parts and for this first part, I've listed my favourite movies from number 10 to number 6. Let's begin.

10) 47 Ronin


There's no secret that this $175 million film is not doing well at the box office. It seems that it's not registering very well with the general audiences at the cinemas but personally I like 47 Ronin very much. It gives me fantasy, action and emotion with its telling of 47 ronin (it's what samurai without master is called) who seek their own version of justice after their master had been killed. Although I feel that the film would be much better in Japanese language, I am still very satisfied with the film; good plot, great overall performances by the film's cast and good visuals as well. It's a shame the film is considered a commercial failure because I personally think the film is good in so many ways.


9) Star Trek: Into Darkness


I would say that I'm not a Star Trek fan before which franchise consists of TV series, a string of films, novels, comics and many more. I didn't even watch the reboot movie, Star Trek, which was released in 2009. But I did watch Star Trek: Into Darkness, the sequel to the 2009 reboot film, and I love it. I always love science fiction movies but I wasn't into Star Trek before because I felt I was too left behind with the series. Luckily Star Trek: Into Darkness wasn't too confusing and new fans like me can still understand it even if we do not have any idea what the series was about before. It's a fun movie that anybody can enjoy which is a great factor to bring in new audiences. The film performed very well at the box office and managed to gross more than $460 million worlwide. I hope a sequel is in plan as I am excited to find out where would their space exploration mission would take the crew next.


8) Prisoners


I rarely watch Oscar bait films but I tried to watch any of them that were released in my country which I think could be interesting. One of that movie was Prisoners, and what a great movie it was! Strong performance by the cast especially by the trio Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman and Paul Dano, Prisoners is definitely a good watch. The director, Canadian-born Denis Villeneuve, managed to capture the desperation and struggles of the abducted victim's families on screen which might be one of the reason why the film received good reviews from film critics. It's a movie that gives you something to think about on the characters' choices or response in difficult circumstances. But I must admit, some scenes especially the torture scenes, are a little bit hard to watch.


7) World War Z


This movie had a lot of problems during filming, which caused the rising in the production cost. And when the film was released, there were a lot of complaints from the fans of the novel the movie was based from that the movie does not resembles anything at all what the book was about. So I guess there was some concern that this movie could be a failure at the box office. But luckily it didn't; World War Z grossed more than $540 million worldwide and was a commercial success with a sequel currently in the works. I personally like the movie because of the story and the realism it brings to the zombie outbreak. I did not read the novel before though, so maybe that's why I'm not offended by the fact that the movie strayed from the novel's original perspective.


6) Ender's Game


It's fitting that the main character's name is in the film's title because the film is mainly about him. Although the film talks about alien invasion and how the world's army are preparing for the next invasion, the truth is the movie focus mainly on Andrew "Ender" Wiggin and his struggles and emotional burden that he has to take as one of the hopeful to bring the end to the war with the alien race. I was surprised that I would love Ender's Game because although I like science fiction movie and the trailers to the film intrigued me, I didn't expect myself to love the movie that much. Although the book the film was based from is a part of a franchise which consists of multiple books and comics, it is unlikely that a sequel to the film would be made considering the poor returns the film is receiving at the box office. But still, I love Ender's Game!


Thank you for reading this first part of my post for my favourite top 10 movies of 2013. You can continue to part 2 by clicking here where I revealed the remaining 5 films in this list. See you there!

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: