Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What to watch? ~ 2014 movies: February

There are a lot of interesting movies coming our way this year. But there are too many of them to keep track. So I've decided to come up with a list of movies that caught my interest that are coming out each month. Since different countries have different release dates, so I'm going to follow with the release dates stated within the Wikipedia list (since that is my main source anyway) which mainly follows the US release date. Take note that the release date might have a last-minute change though. We're already in January, so I'm going to skip January and start with February movies instead. So what are some of the movies that had caught my attention and will be released in February? Let's start!

1. The Lego Movie


When I first heard about this movie, I have no interest on seeing it at all. Then the trailer came out and I was surprised, it actually looks good! The trailer highlighted the innovative visuals of the Lego world and the fun characters that the movie has, so I might be seeing it in the cinema anyway. With the release date of February 7, 2014, the movie will feature a large voice cast which include Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, Will Arnett and Channing Tatum. Expect to see Lego version of DC superheroes in the movie as well.


2. RoboCop


RoboCop will be a remake of the 1987 RoboCop film, and will also serve as a reboot for the movie franchise. The movie will star Joel Kinnaman as the police detective-turned-RoboCop, Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson and Abbie Cornish. From the trailer, the movie does looks quite interesting but it also looks a bit small in scale compared to its $120 million budget. I also read a lot of comments about the new suit which some people described it to look like kitchen appliances. Well, I kind of like it, even though it looks like a human in a robotic suit instead of a complete robot with a human head. I will wait until the movie comes out to fully judge it. RoboCop will be released in cinemas on February 7, 2014 in the UK and February 12, 2014 in the US.

3. Pompeii


This movie is directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. A lot of hardcore movie fans might hate the choice of director here but for those of you who don't know, Paul W. S. Anderson had directed Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, Alien vs. Predator and responsible for all the Resident Evil films (he directed the first, fourth, fifth and possibly the upcoming sixth installment of the Resident Evil films, and produced the second and third film. He also served as a writer for all of them). Honestly, while some of his movies are not that good, I actually like some of them like Event Horizon and some of the Resident Evil films, so no, I don't mind the choice of director for this movie at all. I also like Emily Browning, and willing to give Kit Harington a second chance after the missed opportunity in Silent Hill: Revelation; both starred as lovers in this movie alongside Carrie-Anne Moss, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jessica Lucas, Jared Harris and Kiefer Sutherland. Pompeii is expected to be released on February 21, 2014. Will Pompeii be like Titanic, a love story with disaster as the background setting?


4. Welcome to Yesterday


With a release date of February 28, 2014, this movie is co-produced by one of the most well-known filmmaker today, Michael Bay (thanks to his Transformers film series). Judging from the trailer, Welcome to Yesterday seems like a cross-breed between the 2004 science fiction film The Butterfly Effect and the 2012 film Chronicle (even though I haven't watch Chronicle yet). The film deals with time travel, one of the theme that I love, and will be presented in the found footage style, which is the style of filming that caused me to compared it to Chronicle. I'm not really familiar with the cast but it does seems to have an interesting plot, so I might give this movie a chance. Hopefully, it will be a good movie.

*Update: The release date for this movie had been moved and will no longer be released in February 2014.


5. Non-Stop


Another movie that is scheduled to be released on February 28, 2014 is Non-Stop, starring Liam Neeson, Julianne Moore, Michelle Dockery, Anson Mount and Lupita Nyong'o. The movie looks to be quite action-packed with most of the action taking place in an airplane high above the sky. I like Liam Neeson, and he usually delivers when it comes to action movies, so this might be an interesting movie to watch with my families or friends. But since it will be released the same day as Welcome to Yesterday, I wonder if Non-Stop would be able to win at the box-office for that weekend?


So there you have it; five films that I found to be quite interesting that will be released in February in the US. What do you think? Has any one of these films caught your interest as well?

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: