Friday, April 9, 2010

How to Train Your Dragon ~ review


Imagine an animated movie filled with dragons. Different types, different species. Lots and lots of them. DreamWorks' How to Train Your Dragon is such a movie. You can find many different types of dragons in it. Don't like dragons? No problem! Because this movie has another thing to offer... a good story.

How to Train Your Dragon tells a story about a lonely young Viking, the son of the Chief of the Viking tribe, named Hiccup who befriend a Night Fury dragon, who he called Toothless. That wouldn't be much of a problem if it weren't for the fact that the Viking hunt and kill dragons as they see them as nothing more than pests who like to stole their stocks of sheep. As their friendship grew stronger, Hiccup begins to question who side will he be on; the Vikings or the dragons? This movie is actually loosely based on a children novel of the same name.


As I mention above, this movie has a very good story to offer other than just stunning visuals and lots of dragons variety. I find the story to be sweet, entertaining and heartwarming. But that doesn't mean that it's a drama; it has lots of action sequences too to give some energy to it. To be fair, the emotional effect and action sequences are quite balanced. I love the ending too; there is one part of it that I did not expect to happen and for me it's good and refreshing because you rarely see that type of 'twist' in an animated movie; especially one that most likely to have a sequel. The soundtrack also play a major role in the movie. I really love the sound of music during Hiccup and Toothless first meeting and also in the scene where Stoick scolded Hiccup for befriending a dragon. The music was emotional and rightly placed.


There's nothing to complain about the visuals either. The best I've seen from DreamWorks so far. The characters emotions especially for Hiccup are very life-like. And I must say the voice talents behind this movie had done a great job in expressing their characters' emotions. But there is one bad point; I found Hiccup's voice to be quite annoying at first. I really need some time to get used to it. Furthermore, I think his voice is quite unsuited compared to his physical appearance.


To sum it up, How to Train Your Dragon is definitely the best animated film so far that I had seen by DreamWorks. I highly recommended this movie to everyone, not just kids but adults too. Hopefully there's a sequel to this movie.

Images from Yahoo! Movies and Wikipedia.

No comments: