Saturday, July 25, 2009

Utada Hikaru ~ Could this be the One?


I finally got myself a copy of Utada's new english album, This Is The One. I'm a huge fan of her music so buying this album is definitely a must. But what about other people who are not her fans but curious about her style of music? Should they/you buy it? Here's a brief track-by-track review for you to make the choice;

1. Come Back to Me

- This is definitely one of the best song in this album and to make it the 1st single is a brilliant choice. Very melodic and easy on the ears. I think this song could attract both fans and non-fans alike. A good start for the album.

2. Me Muero

- According to Utada, Me Muero is her favourite track from this album and she would listen to this even though she usually would not listen to her own songs. I felt weird that Utada found this to be her favourite because for me there are many other nicer songs than this. Maybe it's personally related to her? I don't know. Anyway, the song tells about depression (or so I guess) and I think lyrically, it's quite interesting.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI

- I love this song, and it's a possible future single. It was made on a sample of an old Japanese song written by Ryuichi Sakamoto. I'm not sure what instruments did they used to make the music but I definitely fall in love with the sound. Two thumbs up!

4. Apple and Cinnamon

- My personal favourite track. I really think this song should be released as a single, it would be a waste if she/they didn't. It's also a sad song especially at the ending bit. I think a lot of people can relate to the story of the song.

5. Taking My Money Back

- Influence of R&B can be heard from this track. She even sound like Destiny's Child in it. The arrangement is quite simple and bring in less impact than the other tracks. But it's still a nice song.

6. This One (Crying Like a Child)

- This is quite a powerful song. It really shows the strength of her vocal and the sadness in it makes the song even greater. I can almost sense the desperation when I listen to this track. I also found the lyrics to be quite interesting. It's like she's singing in a point of view of a fan to one of her favourite artist; in fact she sounds like an obsessed fan. But I'm not sure whether my interpretation is true though. That's why I love this song; it's sad, it's mysterious, and it kept me guessing.

7. Automatic Part II

- I found this song to be fun and enjoyable. I can also dance to this song. The beats are addictive and I can't help myself but to move my body.

8. Dirty Desire

- As the name suggest, this is a dirty song...lyrically. Well, at least for a couple of lines. I don't really mind because there are plenty of sexual related songs out there and Dirty Desire just a mild version of them. Also, this song sound like it was taken from a Britney album. Definitely has a mainstream sound to it.

9. Poppin'

- This is my least favoutite track from the album. I don't think this song suit in this great album. I hate the talking parts and the pointless lyrics make it even worse. I don't mean to be cruel but I really, really think this song should be sung by somebody else other than the great and talented Utada. But it is quite bearable after a couple of spins.

10. On and On

- This track is suitable for clubs. Fun, amusing and danceable. I love it! I think this song is written especially to those clubbers.


In general, it's another great effort from Utada. Although most of the tracks are more mainstream compared to her previous songs, but you can still sense the 'Utada flavor' in it. You can listen to the samples of the songs together with brief explanation from Utada about each track in her official site.

Now I can't stop playing the disc in my car on my way back home from work. It's addictive. Thank you Utada for such a great album!

No comments: