Saturday, June 4, 2016

What to watch? ~ 2016 movies: June

How many movies have you watched in 2016 so far? There are many great movies that had been released this year but we have only reached June and there are many more interesting new movies to come. Let's see what are some of the movies that will be released in June 2016 that caught my attention. Hopefully they seem interesting to you too.


1) Me Before You


Release date: June 3, 2016
Cast: Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, Janet McTeer, Brendan Coyle, Charles Dance, Jenna Coleman, Matthew Lewis

I sometimes like to watch a good love story but to be honest I usually prefer to watch them on TV at the privacy of my home. But this film looks interesting to me, and apart from that I also love the main duo who are playing the leads here, Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin. I was surprised to find out that the film had received backlash from many people though, I didn't know it would contain so many bad and negative views on disabled people (at least that's what the people that had issue with the film claimed). I will reserve my judgement until I see the movie and hopefully I will have a positive view on it.

Watch Me Before You trailer here!


2) The Conjuring 2



Release date: June 10, 2016
Cast: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Madison Wolfe, Frances O'Connor, Simon McBurney, Lauren Esposito, Franka Potente, Sterling Jerins, Patrick McAuley, Benjamin Haigh, Shannon Kook

I love The Conjuring so I would definitely want to watch this sequel at the cinema, although I was actually quite surprised that they even do a sequel for this movie. Yes, the first movie was very successful and making a sequel is like a no-brainer for the studio to make more money but I don't see the first movie as a franchise-starter so I didn't expect the studio to turn it into a franchise. Nevertheless, if there's more interesting supernatural cases to be told from the paranormal investigators files, then why not make more movies, right? The sequel would be focusing on the Enfield Poltergeist case file which is quite popular then (and still now among fans of paranormal activity I think).

Watch The Conjuring 2 trailer here!

3) Warcraft



Release date: June 10, 2016
Cast: Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, Toby Kebbell, Dominic Cooper, Robert Kazinsky, Ben Schnetzer, Daniel Wu, Ruth Negga, Anna Galvin, Clancy Brown

Films adapted from video games are rarely successful, and even those that managed to bank in a lot of money at the box-office were ridiculed with negative reviews by critics. So I think it's safe to say that Warcraft the movie is a big gamble by Blizzard Entertainment, the video game developer and publisher behind this massive franchise. Personally, I love the trailers that were released for this movie and I certainly can't wait to watch it even though I'm not a fan of the video games. Hopefully Warcraft (branded as Warcraft: The Beginning in parts of Asia) will be a great and enjoyable fantasy film.

Watch Warcraft trailer here!


4) Finding Dory



Release date: June 17, 2016
Cast: Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Hayden Rolence, Diane Keaton, Eugene Levy, Kaitlin Olson, Ed O'Neill, Idris Elba, Ty Burrell, Dominic West, Bob Peterson, Andrew Stanton

Here's another movie that I didn't expect will get a sequel. After watching the first film, Finding Nemo, I think everyone could agree that it was a "complete" film as it is without a need of a follow-up movie, but what a surprise 13 years later, Finding Dory would be released (ironically, the film is set 6 months after the events of the first film). When I first heard about the movie, I was skeptical of where the story could go from the original film but after the trailers were released, I am excited to watch it! Pixar really is a very special animation studio and hopefully they will not disappoint with this film as they rarely did with their other efforts.

Watch Finding Dory trailer here!


5) Independence Day: Resurgence



Release date: June 24, 2016 (June 23, 2016 in Asia)
Cast: Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum, Jessie Usher, Bill Pullman, Sela Ward, Vivica A. Fox, Maika Monroe, Judd Hirsch, Angelababy, Brent Spiner

I can't believe it's been 20 years since the release of the first movie. The scene of the White House being blown up by the gigantic alien spaceship has become an iconic scene and I wonder if the sequel would have a scene as iconic as that one. Nevertheless, I'm sure the movie will be filled with destruction scenes as that is what the director, Roland Emmerich, likes to put in his high-profile movies like The Day After Tomorrow and 2012. Besides, this movie is about alien invasion so of course there would be massive destruction. Anyone who thinks they would come in peace this time must be losing their mind.

Watch Independence Day: Resurgence trailer here!


6) The Shallows




Release date: June 29, 2016
Cast: Blake Lively, Oscar Jaenada, Brett Cullen, Sedona Legge

I really love the trailers that had been released for this movie. Eventhough the story looks simple but the visuals look really impressive and it seems to have some really great suspense scenes as well. I think Blake Lively would be the only major actor in this film and if that's true, she would need to carry this movie alone. I hope she would do well but so far from what I've seen, she's doing great. Hopefully it would be a good movie.

Watch The Shallows trailer here!


There are actually more big blockbuster movies that are coming out but so far these are the ones I'm interested in. What about you? Which movies are you most interested in?

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: