Saturday, May 14, 2016

Ranking the superheroes in Captain America: Civil War film

I've finally watched Marvel's Captain America: Civil War and it was a fun experience. Instead of a regular movie review I've decided to do a ranking of all the superheroes/enhanced humans that were featured in the film like I did with the movies The Avengers and its follow-up, Avengers: Age of Ultron. After all, this movie does feel like an Avengers movie with so many characters involved.

This list will only featured the 12 characters from each side of the teams, team Captain America and team Iron Man, so villain like Crossbones and awesome supporting character like Sharon Carter would not be in this list. I might exposed some plot points too so please be aware that this post might contain spoilers for the movie.

Now let's move on with the chart. We start from the bottom and make our way to the top of my list, let's begin!


12) Vision (Paul Bettany)


I think Vision is a very unique character but he didn't really featured a lot in this film, so that is why he is at the bottom of my list. To be honest, I think he is quite powerful, in fact he might be too powerful that the other characters might not stand a chance if the filmmakers decided to fully utilize him in this film. Anyway, I hope the studio will continue to explore the character in the upcoming Marvel movies. He is a very interesting character after all.


11) James Rhodes/War Machine (Don Cheadle)


What happened to James Rhodes near the end of the movie is very tragic, but I didn't really feel connected with the character so I placed him near the bottom of my list. But I think it is important to note that he was quite crucial in relation to Tony Stark's character development. I guess he will not be featured much anymore in the future films considering what happened to him but you'll never know because when it comes to comic book movies, anything is possible.


10) Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)


Here's another character that was not much involved but since I already love him from the Avengers movies, he managed to make quite an impression on me even with so little screen time the character had in this film. I especially love the scene in the middle-of-ocean prison where Clint Barton was locked up and the banter he had with Tony Stark there. He is a great character, one I really like so much, so I hope he will continue to be featured in the Marvel movies.

9) Scott Lang/Ant-Man (Paul Rudd)


Scott Lang was only featured in just a few scenes in this movie but the scenes he was featured in are the important ones, which revolved around the climactic fight at the airport between the two opposing teams. He made quite a big impact to the whole scenario (I mean literally!) and it makes me like the character even more. He is indeed very charming.


8) Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen)


Out of all these characters, Wanda Maximoff is my favourite when it comes to superpower. Her ability was a beauty to behold and the fact that she was probably one of the strongest in this film, makes her even more impressive. The character still need to be developed though and I hope the filmmakers will dig deeper into her personality and emotions in future films.


7) Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tom Holland)


It's been the third movie incarnation of the character but he still managed to be the character that everyone is talking about and be interested in. He's very funny in this movie and I'm quite surprised that despite being young and still new to this superhero thing, he managed to fight with the other experienced superheroes. He is definitely someone to watch!


6) T'Challa/Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman)


As a character who is being introduced for the first time in a Marvel movie, alongside a whole lot other characters who some have been on the big screen for so many years and loved by so many fans, Black Panther definitely held his own in this film and even managed to steal some of the attention from the other superheroes. It would be interesting to watch how he would do in his own solo movie.


5) Sam Wilson/Falcon (Anthony Mackie)


I'm quite surprised on how much I love Falcon in this movie. While I think he is good in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, most of it is because of the action sequences and I never really felt he was a great character outside of the action scenes. But in this film, he was great throughout the movie. He is a very likable character, very funny and his action scenes are amazing. I suspect he will gain a lot more fans following this movie's release.


4) Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson)


I ranked Black Widow at number 2 in my ranking for Avengers: Age of Ultron but I have to give her a lower ranking for this film. It's not that she wasn't great in it, but because there are so many great characters in this film. Black Widow still is a very great character and I love how her character has been developed so far. I'm glad she is still somewhat siding with Captain America near the end of this movie because I feel both of them makes a perfect team together.


3) Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan)


I've always thought Bucky as quite an awesome character, especially after he became the Winter Soldier in the second film of Captain America but with this film, he just became one of my favourite character that Marvel Cinematic Universe had ever produced. His cold personality and skills in fight makes him a really cool character. I love Bucky...a lot! As this film focused quite a lot on him, the filmmakers really beefed up the character and makes him relevant with the rest of the characters involved.


2) Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.)


I like Iron Man, his own solo movies are fun to watch and he even dominates the Marvel ensemble movies like The Avengers. He has a very strong personality which is always entertaining to watch as well. He may seems egotistical at times but really he's a kind person who seldom shows his true self to anyone but himself. I may not ranked him at number one for this film, but I still think he is a great character, and even as more characters are introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he still is one of the most popular character out of all of them.


1) Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans)


It's only seem fitting that Captain America being ranked first in his own movie but in all honesty, I do like him the most in this movie. I believe in him and what he stood for, and even when his actions are questionable, I believe that his intentions are pure and he does not have any hidden agenda. It could be that the character is so charismatic that you just believe everything that he said (which can be dangerous), but with Captain America you just somehow trust him. He's very reliable and can be trusted, and who could resist to have someone like that on their side, right?


It's not easy making this list but I've made it! What would your list look like? Which character would be your favourite from this film?

Images from Captain America official website.

No comments: