Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Coffin ~ review


I love Asian horror movies, well most of it. Some of my favorite are A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea), One Missed Call (Japan), Jangan Pandang Belakang (Malaysia) and Long Khong (Thailand). Asian horror movies tend to have slow-moving plot and weird deaths but in the end, it was all worth it because the story were so good you don't really mind all the minor stuff.

Sadly, same thing cannot be said to The Coffin. This movie do not have slow-moving plot, but very, very very slow snail-pace moving plot (and I'm dead serious!). I wouldn't have mind that if it has a good story or a twist in the end but no, nothing. The story is plain simple and have no twist whatsoever. The scary scenes are not really scary either, except for the loud cracking noise from a self-opened lock.

It's a shame really considering it has powerful casts, Ananda Everingham and Karen Mok. Ananda was very convincing as Chris and Karen was kinda okay too as Zoe, although I didn't quite like her scream which I think sounded a little bit fake, but other than that she was okay. She is one of my favourite chinese actress so I can't complaint much.

This movie tells 2 separate stories about Chris and Zoe who went through a Thai ritual, which is sleeping in a coffin, to fend off bad luck or bad karma. However, after the ritual, they started to experience paranormal and spooky incidents. Terrified, Chris and Zoe started to investigate the cause of all these paranormal incidents and how to stop them.

I'm very disappointed with this movie. I usually love horror movies, especially the Asian ones, but The Coffin just turned me off. I hope the people behind this movie would not give up and work harder on their next project. I give The Coffin 2 stars out of 5. Sorry.

Better luck next time.

No comments: