Monday, August 18, 2008

The Place Promised In Our Early Days~ review


This anime film was released in Japan in 2004, I bought the VCD sometime in 2006, but I just watched it a couple of months ago, in 2008. Kinda weird, right? I can be a little bit weird sometimes. But at least I watched it.

The Place Promised In Our Early Days is an anime film created and directed by Makoto Shinkai. It's kinda hard to give the synopsis so I hope you guys don't mind with this short summary of the film. 3 best friends, 2 boys and a girl. The girl went missing. Three years later the boys found out that she had been in a coma (more like sleeping continuously since she didn't involve in accident or anything) and hospitalized for the past 3 years. 1 boy want to save her but the other boy didn't because if she wakes up, the world will 'vanish'. So what can they do???

It sound kinda confusing, right? I was confused too when I first watched it. So I suggest you watch this movie twice to really appreciate it. Besides, the visuals are nice and the story is beautiful too; it explore the emotion of being alone. So no harm in watching it twice. Yeah, the plot is kinda complicated but my VCD have a very bad subtitles so I didn't blame my confusion solely on the plot.

This anime film falls in the drama category so don't expect an action film like Naruto or Bleach. But it's still a nice film so if you like drama, you should give this a try.

No comments: