Thursday, September 8, 2016

What to watch? ~ 2016 movies: September

September usually known as the "dry season" for Hollywood movies, but surprisingly there are quite a few interesting movies coming out this month. Below are the movies that seems interesting to me, check them out below and see if you would like them as well.


1) The Light Between Oceans


Release date: Sept. 2, 2016
Cast: Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander, Rachel Weisz, Florence Clery, Bryan Brown

Most of the time people will spend money at the cinemas to watch movies that have a lot of special effects but sometimes I think it's good to watch some good drama on the big screen too. The Light Between Oceans seems like a movie with a good drama in it and it has a great cast too. The movie is based on a novel which had received great reviews so hopefully the movie will get positive reviews as well.

Watch The Light Between Oceans trailer here.


2) Morgan



Release date: Sept. 2, 2016
Cast: Kate Mara, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rose Leslie, Toby Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Boyd Holbrook, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Paul Giamatti

Morgan is a science fiction and horror movie, an interesting combination if you asked me. The trailer focused a lot on the mystery of this "Morgan" character, and I have to say it got me curious as well. While I am excited to watch this movie, it seems not a lot of people are because it did quite poorly on its opening weekend. I want to find out who or what exactly is Morgan, so I think I will still watch this movie at the cinema.

Watch Morgan trailer here!

3) The Disappointments Room


Release date: Sept. 9, 2016
Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Lucas Till, Gerald McRaney, Mel Raido, Michael Landes, Duncan Joiner, Ella Jones

Here's another horror movie coming to the cinemas but without the science fiction element, just a plain straight-forward horror movie. Or is it that straight-forward? I think they cut the trailer cleverly by not revealing too much what the movie is about and keep people guessing. It surely piqued my interest, I wonder what is that room? And what's in it???

Watch The Disappointments Room trailer here!


4) Sully


Release date: Sept. 9, 2016
Cast: Tom Hanks, Aaron Eckhart, Laura Linney, Holt McCallany, Anna Gunn, Autumn Reeser, Jerry Ferrara, Jamey Sheridan

This movie is based on the autobiography of the US Airways Flight 1549 pilot, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, who flew the crippled airplane into the Hudson River after it had been hit with a flock of Canadian Geese. I heard and read about the news before but I didn't know that the pilot were questioned for his actions, I thought he was regarded as a hero, so I was a bit surprised when I first watched the trailer. The movie has a great cast and the trailer looks quite intense so hopefully it will be a good movie.

Watch Sully trailer here.


5) Snowden


Release date: Sept. 16, 2016
Cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Shailene Woodley, Rhys Ifans, Melissa Leo, Zachary Quinto, Tom Wilkinson, Logan Marshall-Green, Timothy Olyphant, Nicolas Cage, Scott Eastwood

While the news about Edward Snowden were widely reported and discussed in the past years, I don't think people really understand what he's been through with this high-profile scandal. So I think this movie is perfect for us to see the event from his point of view. Even though movie that is based on true event can also have some fiction element in it, at least we can see his side of the story and understand where he came from. I'm intrigued!

Watch Snowden trailer here!


6) Blair Witch


Release date: Sept. 16, 2016
Cast: Callie Hernandez, James Allen McCune, Valorie Curry, Brandon Scott, Wes Robinson, Corbin Reid

The Blair Witch Project was such a phenomenon that I think to reboot the film would be such a high risk of inciting angry mobs on the internet. But after watching the trailer, I think it looks quite good. Those who were angry that the film might tarnish the film legacy...well I think they shouldn't worry too much. And technically this isn't a reboot but more of a sequel to the first film (yes, a second Blair Witch film do exist although not as financially successful as the first film). Maybe people are scared that this movie will be panned just like the second movie, maybe that's why they are against it? I still think it looks good so I might check it out once it is release in cinemas.

Watch Blair Witch trailer here!


7) Storks


Release date: Sept. 23, 2016
Cast: Andy Samberg, Katie Crown, Jennifer Aniston, Kelsey Grammer, Keegan-Michael Key, Ty Burrell, Anton Starkman, Stephen Kramer Glickman, Danny Trejo

I just love watching the trailers for this movie. There are just so many funny moments in it. The movie somehow feels like an underdog to me because I don't think it received as much attention as some of the other animation movies coming out this year, and I believe it deserved more attention. Hopefully it will be a fun movie to watch and will be a big hit with audiences as well.

Watch Storks trailer here!


8) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Release date: Sept. 30, 2016
Cast: Asa Butterfield, Eva Green, Samuel L. Jackson, Ella Purnell, Lauren McCrostie, Chris O'Dowd, Allison Janney, Judi Dench, Terence Stamp

Some of the children in this movie seems to have mutant powers but some do have "peculiar" gifts. With so many superhero movies in cinemas nowadays, this movie really needs to stand on its own and separate itself from the superhero genre especially when it comes to the abilities of these children. The visuals look nice and I'm curious about the story as well so I am definitely interested to watch this movie, but I wonder if other moviegoers who are now so used to seeing people with superpower on film will be interested as well. Do you?

Watch Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children trailer here!


So those are the movies I'm interested to watch that will be released in September. Do you find any of these interesting as well?

By the way, if you were looking for the August edition of my "What to Watch" post, you won't find it because I didn't write it...my apologies! To make up for skipping writing that post, below is the (simple) list of the movies that were released in August that would have been listed in that post.

1) Suicide Squad
2) Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
3) Kubo and the Two Strings
4) Don't Breathe
5) Mechanic: Resurrection

Thank you for reading!

No comments: