Monday, September 26, 2016

KARA ~ My Top 5 Favourite Songs

2016 so far have been quite harsh for K-pop girl groups. While it's normal to see small groups from small companies to disband (it's a very competitive space to be), this year there are also some members from big groups leaving and even some big groups disbanded, and one such group was KARA from DSP Media.

In January 2016, DSP Media had announced that the K-pop female group had been disbanded due to the contracts expiration for 3 of the members. They were a very popular group not just in South Korea but were known throughout Asia (they were particularly quite big in Japan) and of course in some other parts of the world.

I'm sure many hearts were broken when they heard the news but some things don't last forever and since the group have been around for awhile with various degree of success, it was normal to think that they would move on to some other things in their careers. Interestingly though I read comments mentioning that some of the members said that they have not disbanded, they might be in separate agencies now but they might band together again for a comeback. I'm not sure what does that mean, can they still performed as KARA outside of DSP Media?

Anyway, KARA had quite a few hits under their belt and I enjoyed quite a lot of them. In an effort to capture the memories of good pop music they had offered us in the last few years, here are my top 5 favourite songs from them. If you haven't heard any of the songs or are not even familiar with the group, you might want to check them out too. They are quite entertaining. ;-)

5) Damaged Lady


Number 5 in my list is Damaged Lady from their final Korean studio album, Full Bloom which was released in 2013. Although the group had 4 members when they disbanded, they were originally very successful as a quintet, and this is the last album to feature 5 members before Nicole and Jiyoung departed the group in 2014. It's an upbeat song, more like a pop song with a rocky edge to it. The girls have a unique tomboyish style in certain parts of the music video as well, which is pretty interesting.

Watch Damaged Lady now!


4) Lupin


I have to say, Lupin is a pretty unique song. It doesn't quite sound like the typical pop song that people usually associated with k-pop which is why I think made it standout from their other songs. It's just sound different and refreshing. The concept and visuals for the music video is pretty amusing as well where they have a more mature look for the members compared to the cute and bubbly look that they were used to before that. The song was taken from their similarly titled third mini-album which was released in 2010.

Watch Lupin on YouTube now!


3) Wanna


Well, this song is a simple pop song, nothing unique about it compared to, let's say Lupin which I described earlier as different and refreshing. But guess what? I like simple pop song, which is why I charted Wanna higher than Lupin. This is simply pure pop song; catchy, bubbly and fun...and I love it! This is actually the song that got me interested in KARA. Wanna is the lead single for their second studio album, Revolution, released in 2009.

Watch Wanna on YouTube now!


2) Pandora


Pandora, which was the title track for KARA's fifth EP, is a really great dance track. The track, and the EP itself, charted well when they were released back in 2012, which is not surprising for me because I think it is quite a high-quality song. I like the accompanying music video as well and the girls look pretty amazing in it.

Watch Pandora on YouTube now!


1) Step


I've talked about how much I love Step before in one of my post quite a long time ago, and now I'm glad to say that even after all these years, Step was and still is my favourite song from KARA. It's a fantastic, upbeat and fun song with high-production value, well I'm no music producer but at least that's what I feel about it as a pop music lover. It just sounds so perfect. And the music video is great too; colourful, bright, cheerful and so full of energy. I think the song is pretty popular with the masses as well seeing that the music video in one of their official YouTube channel has higher views than all the other songs in my top 5 list with 74 million views. Step is the lead song for their third full-length album, also titled Step, and was released in 2011.

Watch Step in YouTube now!


So those are my top 5 favourite songs from KARA. But before I end this post, I would also like to highlight another song that I've discovered from them which titled "Two of Us" from their debut studio album, The First Blooming. It's not a promotional track so it didn't have a music video of its own and since I only want to include songs that have a music video, "Two of Us" didn't make it into my top 5 list. I love the song very much though so that is why I decided to still highlighted it here.

And now we are finally at the end of the post. If you are a KARA's fan, which song do you like most? And if you never heard of them before, do you like any of their songs that I listed above?

No comments: