Monday, July 11, 2016

What to watch? ~ 2016 movies: July

Sorry for posting this late! I usually post this earlier in the month but I was busy with something else so the post for this month got delayed. Anyway, without further delay, let's look at some of the interesting movies coming out in July that caught my attention.


1) The Legend of Tarzan



Release date: July 1, 2016
Cast: Alexander Skarsgard, Margot Robbie, Samuel L. Jackson, Djimon Hounsou, Christoph Waltz, Casper Crump, Jim Broadbent

This looks like a cool movie. The Tarzan adaptation that I am most familiar with is from the 1999's animated film from Disney so I'm excited to see a different take of the story albeit a darker one. The cast looks good but more important is the action sequence which looks to be quite impressive from the trailer. Critics gave mixed reviews for the film but it opened with quite solid numbers on its opening weekend in North America. Unfortunately the budget for the film is quite high so it still got a long way to go to recoup its budget. Hopefully the movie have legs.

Watch The Legend of Tarzan trailer here!


2) The Purge: Election Year


Release date: July 1, 2016
Cast: Frank Grillo, Elizabeth Mitchell, Mykelti Williamson, Joseph Julian Soria, Terry Serpico, Betty Gabriel, Kyle Secor, Edwin Hodge, Liza Colon-Zayas

I love this franchise. The premise is creepy but I think it has a good moral story behind it. I actually like the first movie more than the second one, so hopefully I will like this third entry in the franchise more than the second movie. This movie had performed well at the box office since its release and had made quite a sum of money against its small budget. Is it possible that we will see a fourth entry in the franchise?

Watch The Purge: Election Year trailer here!

3) The Secret Life of Pets


Release date: July 8, 2016
Cast: Louis C.K., Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart, Ellie Kemper, Steve Coogan, Lake Bell, Dana Carvey, Bobby Moynihan, Jenny Slate, Hannibal Buress

I am actually a bit torn about this. On one hand I really like the first trailer for the movie which showed the pets doing all sorts of crazy things at home when their owners are not around. On the other hand I'm not quite sold after watching the second trailer that properly introduced the actual plot of the movie. It still looks like an interesting movie though so probably I would still watch it. It opened big on its opening weekend in North America with more than $100 million debut and exceeded industry's projection. Will it performed as well as some of the animation films that had been released recently?

Watch The Secret Life of Pets trailer here!


4) Ghostbusters


Release date: July 15, 2016
Cast: Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Chris Hemsworth, Andy Garcia, Charles Dance

It's really sad to see how much hate this movie received even before its release. You would have thought people would actually judge it after actually seeing the movie but with today's savvy audience, it would be shred to pieces even before it hit theaters. Tragic. Personally, the first trailer (or was it the teaser trailer?) didn't do much to get my attention either but the next trailer released after that got me interested to watch the movie. It looks entertaining and quite funny with a solid cast so perhaps I would give it a try.

Watch Ghostbusters trailer here!


5) Lights Out


Release date: July 22, 2016
Cast: Teresa Palmer, Gabriel Bateman, Maria Bello, Alexander DiPersia, Billy Burke

I always love to watch a good horror movie and Lights Out seems to have quite an interesting way to scare us with its ghost who lurks in the shadows. We did have such movie before, one that came to my mind was 2003's Darkness Falls with characters in that movie keep on repeating "stay in the light" (which became quite tiring after awhile), but with Lights Out it seems to have quite an inventive way to scare audiences (at least from what I've seen from the trailers). I hope it would have a good story.

Watch Lights Out trailer here!


6) Star Trek Beyond


Release date: July 22, 2016
Cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Idris Elba, Sofia Boutella, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, Shohreh Aghdashloo

Although I didn't watch the 2009's Star Trek (at least not in full, just few sequences here and there), I did watched the 2nd entry in the reboot series, Star Trek Into Darkness, at the cinema and loved it. It was a great movie experience for me so I'm definitely looking forward to Star Trek Beyond. It's sad that Anton Yelchin had died recently and this would be his last time reprising his role in the franchise. Even though he was just in a supporting role, hopefully he would leave an impression in the film for audiences to remember him. He will be missed.

Watch Star Trek Beyond trailer here!


So those are the movies I'm interested in that will be released (or already have!) in July 2016. If you noticed, I left some of the big movies out, those are the ones I'm not really interested in. Which movie would you like to watch?

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: