Sunday, July 5, 2015

What to watch? ~ 2015 movies: July

So far for 2015, three Hollywood movies had reached USD$1 billion at the box office (Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Jurassic World), and we're only halfway through the year! And there's more blockbuster movies coming out soon. There are a few movies that caught my interest for July but which movies do you think would make it big at the box-office? Or maybe make a big impression with film critics a la Mad Max: Fury Road and Inside Out?

Below are the movies that I'm most interested with for July 2015. Let's start!


1) Terminator: Genisys


Similar to the Jurassic World, I believe Terminator: Genisys has a strong brand that could lure old and new fans of the franchise to the cinemas. However, seeing how the last 2 movies of this franchise were not as highly praised as the first two movies, it could also spell trouble for this new sequel box-office performance. We'll see where this movie would take the franchise; rise to the top of the pack or burn to the ground. I'm rooting for this movie to be successful though because from what I see from the trailers, it looks like a really fun movie, and the story takes it into a totally different direction than just simply following the timeline established from previous movies. So hopefully the movie will be good. Directed by Alan Taylor (the director of Thor: The Dark World) and starring Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Lee Byung-hun and J. K. Simmons, Terminator: Genisys had been released in cinemas on July 1, 2015 in the US and July 2, 2015 in Malaysia.


2) Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow


Usually my list contains only Hollywood movies because that's the easiest movies for me to track online, but this time I got two Asian movies that caught my interest in my list (I should have checked my local websites movie schedule more often then). First up is the anime film adaptation of the popular manga/anime TV series Attack on Titan. There seemed to be two parts to this movie, and the first part is called Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow which was adapted from episode 1 until 13 of the anime TV series. I had only read several chapters of the manga and have never watch the TV series before but from what I've read, I know that the story is unique and very entertaining so I'm very much looking forward to this movie. Already released in Japan in November of 2014, Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow was released in Malaysia on July 2, 2015.


3) The Gallows


To be honest, story-wise I suspect that this film would just be a regular found footage horror movie that has been produced quite a lot recently but the trailer for this movie was so cleverly cut and accompanied by an awesome rendition of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit that it piqued my interest. Come to think of it, I somewhat remember a movie with "Gallows" in the title been released in Malaysia some few months back? Can't really remember for sure but if that was this movie, then I had missed my chance to watch it. But the US audience would still have that chance as The Gallows would be released in cinemas on July 10, 2015. The film starred Reese Mishler, Cassidy Gifford, Ryan Shoos, Pfeifer Brown and Alexis Schneider. If you're wondering that awesome rendition I was talking about, check out the cover by Think Up Anger feat. Malia J on YouTube (thanks to the comments section of the trailer in YouTube - I wouldn't know who did the cover version if you ask me). Awesome stuff!

4) Minions


Usually the films that I listed in my What to Watch list are the films that I haven't watched yet, but I had watched this movie! This is due to some weird scheduling from Hollywood - Minions had already been released in Malaysia (and some other countries) in June but would only be released in the US on July 10, 2015. To tell the truth, I have never been a big fan of the Despicable Me franchise (have never watched the two movies in full - always just a few scenes here and there if I ever accidentally watched it on TV), but I can say that this spin-off Minions is truly a fun movie to watch. It's suitable for kids and adults alike. If you've always been the fan of the yellow creatures, then this movie is definitely for you. The voice casts include Pierre Coffin (the voice of the minions and the co-director of this movie), Sandra Bullock, Jon Hamm, Allison Janney, Michael Keaton, Geoffrey Rush, Steve Coogan and Jennifer Saunders.


5) Ju-on 4: The Final Curse


I mentioned earlier there are two Asian movies in this list, right? So here's the other one. Ju-on 4: The Final Curse will be released in Malaysian cinemas on July 16, 2015. It's been awhile since I last watch a movie from the horror franchise. I did some research and found out that apparently there are 8 films in the Ju-on franchise including this new sequel. So why is this movie being marketed as Ju-on 4 in Malaysia? This is kind of confusing but I hope I won't get confuse by the plot if I watch this movie at the cinema. That would be really disappointing if it happens. Already released in Japan in June of 2015, the film starred Airi Taira, Renn Kiriyama, Nonoka Ono and Yurina Yanagi, and will be the final installment in the Ju-on movie franchise.


6) Ant-Man


This will be the second movie for the year from Marvel Studios (after Avengers: Age of Ultron). I must say that this movie seems to not have a big publicity or marketing campaign like the one we used to see with all the other previous Marvel Studios' movie releases. I don't think it will do big business like the Avengers movie but I think it will do quite well. All the movies from this studio did well before, right? So I don't see why this movie would be any different. It might not have a big marketing push like the others but Marvel is a big brand nowadays, so I believe the brand itself will serve this movie well. Starring Paul Rudd as the titular character alongside Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale and Michael Pena, Ant-Man will be released in cinemas on July 17, 2015.


7) Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation


Originally scheduled to be released in December, this film is now scheduled to be released on July 31, 2015 to run from the competition in December specifically Star Wars: The Force Awakens and the new Bond movie, Spectre. While I like Tom Cruise as an actor, I have never watch a Mission Impossible movie in cinema before, so coupled that with a lot of other choices playing at the cinemas, it will take a lot for me to go and watch this one. But so far, I'm intrigued. Directed by Christopher McQuarrie, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation starred Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames and Alec Baldwin.


So many movies, so little time (and money!). Which of these movies are you excited the most? Or maybe I missed some of your most anticipated movie for July 2015?

No comments: