Wednesday, December 25, 2013

K-pop Girl groups ~ My Top 20 Songs for 2013 (No. 20 - No. 14)

This end of the year would be all about K-pop music (or Korean pop music for those who are unfamiliar with the term) as I would count down my favourite K-pop songs from female group for 2013. I started this K-pop chart last year when I listed down my favourite K-pop female group for 2012 based on the songs they had released.  But for this year, I would do the chart a little bit different as I would list down my top 20 favourite K-pop songs from female groups instead of counting down the groups themselves. Originally I only want to do Top 13 (as I thought Top 13 of 2013 sounds cool) but there are so many songs that I like that I feel I need to do Top 20 instead. The chart would be separated in 3 parts and for this first part, let's start with number 20 until number 14. Let's begin!

20) AOA ~ Confused


This group which debuted in 2012 is kind of unique because 7 of the members (Choa, Jimin, Yuna, Mina, Hyejeong, Seolhyun and Chanmi) are in the idol group while at the same time 4 of them (Choa, Jimin, Yuna and Mina) including one additional member (Youkyoung) also formed the band division (there are all 8 members altogether). The song Confused are performed by the idol division and was released back in October 2013. I like the song's tune especially the chorus which was quite catchy. The music video has a sexy concept and seductive feel to it and eventhough I don't have any problem with the music video, I feel that it might not be too good for the younger viewers.

Confused MV


19) Tahiti ~ Love Sick


Another group who debuted in 2012 is the six-member group Tahiti, which consists of members Jungbin, Minjae, Miso, Jisoo, Ari and Jin. For the song Love Sick though, Jin was taken out from promotioning the song as the concept for this album was deemed unfit for her age. Love Sick is a good song, however it sounds too similar to Potential Breakup Song from Aly and AJ which makes me guessing that their company purchased the copyright for the song and made a cover version of it. I'm not sure about it since I didn't find anything that state this but considering they hadn't had any trouble like so many Korean artists in the past who were accused of plagiarism before, so I guess they did made the copyright purchased after all. Anyway, it's still a great song and I'm looking forward for more music from the group.

Love Sick MV


18) BESTie ~ Love Options


Eventhough the four-member group BESTie debuted in 2013, three of its members were originally from the group EXID, so it's safe to say that the group are not entirely new to the industry. Consists of UJi, Hyeyeon, Haeryung and Dahye, Love Options was only their second single. It's an energetic song with upbeat tempo and great vocals which hooked me immediately after my first time hearing the song. Although Love Options is a pop commercial song, it does showcased the group's strong vocals and presence (in the music video) which I feel will help them garnered more fans.

Love Options MV


17) Tiny-G ~ Minimanimo


I had post about this group before which you can find it here. I'm such in love with this song that it got stuck in my head for weeks. Released in the beginning of the year, Minimanimo is a cute and catchy song which I think would catch people's attention even without seeing the cheerful and coulourful music video that comes with it. Members J.Min, Mint, Do Hee and Myeong Ji definitely have strong stage presence even being physically small. I feel Tiny-G is one of the new group which has such a huge potential to be big and hopefully that's where they are heading.

Minimanimo MV


16) 2NE1 ~ Missing You


I think most K-pop fans would know who CL, Minzy, Dara and Bom is right? I feel that 2NE1 is one of the K-pop group who has huge following worldwide that I don't need to introduce them anymore. They have several singles released in 2013 but the one that caught my attention is Missing You. It is a sophisticated ballad with strong vocal performance that shows 2NE1 is not only about style but substance as well with this touching song. Caution though! The music video has a semi-nude scene in it so for those who are not comfortable with it might want to stay away from it.

Missing You MV


15) T-ara ~ Number 9


At number 15 is Number 9. Okay, so it would sound more cool if Number 9 is at number 9 in the chart but there are such strong competition this year that I had to place this T-ara song at number 15. Comprised of Qri, Eunjung, Hyomin, Soyeon, Boram and Jiyeon, T-ara had released this song in October 2013. I like this song a lot but I have no idea why the guy the girls are referring to in this song is called number 9. I read some comments saying that they are referencing to a person in an old English song? Someone care to explain???

Number 9 MV


14) Crayon Pop ~ Lonely Christmas


I love Crayon Pop! I have huge respect for this group for opting to go with silly and humorous style instead of sexy and seductive that a lot of K-pop girl group are doing now. I started to like them even before they went huge with Bar Bar Bar when the music video gone viral on the web but unfortunately Bar Bar Bar didn't make it into my chart. But Lonely Christmas did! The only festive song that made it into the chart, Lonely Christmas is such a cute song with catchy lyrics that instantly caught my attention with its addictive beat. I pray for the best for Crayon Pop which consists of Gummi, Ellin, Soyul, Way and Cho-a (Way and Cho-a are twins by the way) and hopefully they will have more great hits in the future.

Lonely Christmas MV


So that is the end for the first part of my favourite K-pop songs of 2013 (from female groups). So what do you think of number 20 to number 14? Do you like any of them? You can find my second post for this by clicking here in which I listed songs charted from number 13 until number 7. Thank you for reading!

No comments: