Sunday, January 6, 2019

My 2017 Top 10 Films ~ No. 10 - No. 1

This is another post for archive purposes. Here are my 2017 top 10 films.

10 - Happy Death Day


I had such a fun time watching this at the cinema. Although the time loop concept for the film had been done several times before in movies, Happy Death Day still managed to make it fresh and exciting.


9 - Logan


A superhero movie with deep and emotional story told in a very sophisticated way. I don't think there's any better way to say goodbye to an iconic character.

8 - Murder on the Orient Express


This movie is visually stunning, it makes me wish I could ride the Orient Express as well. But more importantly, I like the story and the characters. The story is compelling and the casts fit perfectly well with the characters.


7 - IT


I would say that the movie is not as scary as some of the other horror movies that I've watched before but the film does feel more sophisticated in its storytelling. It truly is a high-quality movie.


6 - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets


The world building in this movie is absolutely amazing and very inventive. The extra-dimensional bazaar, the shape-shifting entertainer, the planet with endless count of pearls; it is truly a sight to behold. Too bad the movie didn't do too well at the box-office, I would love to see a sequel to the movie.


5 - Wonder Woman


I fall in love with the character when she was first introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and I am so glad that it's first solo movie was good. Hopefully its sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, would be just as good as well.


4 - Life


This movie is so unexpectedly scary. I love the casts, the story, the suspense, and the ending is very good as well. To be honest, I'm surprised that I placed it this high on the list but I just really enjoyed the movie so much and because of that, I believe it really deserved this spot.


3 - Split


James McAvoy's performance in this movie is truly amazing. He really makes me believe in all the different personalities. Its sequel, Glass, is coming out soon, and I'm so excited for it. Hopefully it will tie the trilogy nicely story-wise.


2 - Arrival


I did not expect to love this movie as much as I did. Usually these type of movies would confuse me but lucky for me, I managed to make sense of the plot, and I really enjoyed it! Eventhough the movie came out in 2016 in the US, I saw it in early 2017 in my country, that is why this movie made it into the 2017 list instead of 2016.


1 - A Silent Voice (Koe No Katachi)


The animation is visually breathtaking, and the story is incredibly good. The story of a bully turned to being a bully victim is so heartbreaking that I got teary-eyed several times while watching it. I really, really love this movie, and I highly recommended it. It's anime adaptation at its best.


Thanks for going through this list even though they are (somewhat) old movies. Now to complete my 2018 top 10 films of the year. Finger-crossed this list won't take more than a year to complete. :-P

Images source from Wikipedia.

No comments: