Friday, January 27, 2017

2016 Films ~ My Top 10 Memorable Characters

Aside from doing a top 10 list for my favourite movie of the year, I've also decided to do a top 10 memorable characters from the movies I've watched in 2016 (as you can obviously see from the title of this post). I actually had planned to do this before for 2015 movies but I was short on time so I decided to scrap that plan.

Listing 10 movies was hard enough, now it is for characters (and there are tonnes of them!) so this is an even tougher task to accomplish. So to make my job (slightly) easier, I will only take one character per movie, so even though they are many interesting characters in one movie, I would only picked one that I personally think the best.

These characters are not necessarily have to be the main characters, it can be a small role within the film, but the characters have to make a huge impact on me, or make an impressive impression, to make it into my list.

So without further delay, here are my top 10 memorable characters from 2016 films. I hope you enjoy the list.


10. Lieutenant Commander Leonard McCoy, M.D.
Film: Star Trek Beyond
Actor: Karl Urban


I like this character, he's funny and sarcastic. Even though he might be blunt in his reaction to things, above all he's a good friend and an important crew of the USS Enterprise. There are many characters in Star Trek Beyond, old and new, but Leonard McCoy stands out from the rest with his wit and sarcasm remarks. I hope he continue to stick around in this franchise because he brings a lot of the charm into the movie as well.


9. Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
Film: Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
Voice actor: Lena Headey


Eventhough Lunafreya only has a small role in this film, she still give quite an impact on me. I was captivated everytime she was on screen, she just has that persona and charisma about her. She's a strong-willed person and even though she may seem soft and delicate from the outside, you can tell that she has a strong heart and that she will endure every challenges that befall her. I would say that she's a very good role model and someone who you could look up to as a character.

8. T'Challa / Black Panther
Film: Captain America: Civil War
Actor: Chadwick Boseman


There are so many interesting characters in Captain America: Civil War, and while I had listed Captain America himself as my favourite character from the film (it is his movie anyway), I have to give it to T'Challa a.k.a. Black Panther for the most memorable character from the film because he made quite an impression in the film. It was the character's first appearance in the franchise and to make such a big impact was truly amazing. He got that regal feeling to him which is befitting since he is a prince. I'm excited to see more of his adventures in his solo film which is scheduled to be released in 2018.


7. Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn
Film: Suicide Squad
Actress: Margot Robbie


I almost picked Diablo for the character to represent Suicide Squad because I just love that character so much but when it comes to the one that is most memorable and made the most impact on me, I have to go with Harley Quinn. She may seemed like a superficial character but I think she's more than that. She's a complex character who no one knows what she thinks about and that's dangerous because she can be unpredictable. I really hope they had explored more of her background and how she became who she was, hopefully we get to see more of that in future films.


6. Orphan Tulip
Film: Storks
Voice actor: Katie Crown


Yes, the wolves are funny. Yes, the baby is cute. And yes, Junior, the main stork character is great too but I must say, Tulip is a very special character. I applaud Katie Crown for bringing this character to life because she is just so unique, especially the way she talks. It sounds so natural and funny. She's just so lovable and it made you care for her. If you haven't seen the movie, you MUST! And then you know what I'm talking about. She's just great and I love her.


5. Charles Xavier / Professor X
Film: X-Men: Apocalypse
Actor: James McAvoy


I always thought James McAvoy's portrayal of Professor X was great before but I think he brought the character into another level in this film because he was truly excellent in it. Apocalypse and Magneto were two other characters that I think were good as well but Professor X was still the best one in X-Men: Apocalypse. I'm not sure if we're going to continue our journey with this young version of Professor X but even if we're not going to, at least the character went out on a high note (to me personally at least).


4. Christian Wolff
Film: The Accountant
Actor: Ben Affleck


Although The Accountant didn't make it into my top 10 movie list of 2016, I loved that film and it actually almost made the cut into my list. It was a great film and it all thanks to this great character, the accountant himself. He was diagnosed with autism when he was a child but oh boy, he sure capable of a lot more than any normal person can. He's an excellent marksmanship, he's a great fighter, and he's good at math, that's why he's an accountant! He's a good example of someone who was never hindered by his own disability, and because of that I think he's a good role model for all of us, to remind us not to limit ourselves just because we're at disadvantage at certain things.


3. Diana Prince / Wonder Woman
Film: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Actress: Gal Gadot


Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman, Bruce Wayne / Batman, Lex Luthor and Senator June Finch are some of the great characters that I personally loved from this film but I bet Wonder Woman made such a huge impression for a lot of people for her first cinematic appearance in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). She sure did impressed me. She was so outstanding in the movie that she had her own cool soundtrack. How awesome is that? She only had a small role in the film but she was so excellent and likable that I suspect a lot of people might consider her one of the best part of the movie. She's going to have her own solo movie this year in June and I seriously cannot wait for that!


2. Sang-hwa
Film: Train to Busan
Actor: Ma Dong-seok


If you somehow find yourself in a zombie apocalypse, you would wish to have someone like Sang-hwa by your side. He's strong, reliable, has a kind heart and selfless. He would risk his life to save others. Even though he is not a superhero in a superhero movie, he truly is a hero in every sense of his character traits, and that makes him a great and inspiring character. I would also like to make a shout-out to his wife, Seong-kyeong, another great character in the film. They are really a great couple, a strong-willed wife with a super husband. Excellent.


1. Khadgar
Film: Warcraft: The Beginning
Actor: Ben Schnetzer


Khadgar is amazing! He's a mage so when he fights, he uses magic and what a beautiful spectacles that were. Magic all over the place and they were such stunning effects! But I don't like Khadgar just for his magic skills. He's also relatable in the sense that he's started out in the movie as an outsider, getting caught for snooping around in places that he shouldn't be. And then he grew to become a reliable ally and a competent and skillful mage. Audiences watched him grew and gained more confidence as he continued along in his adventure with the other characters, and I love seeing that self-discovery journey with the character.


...and that's it! I'm finally finished with this list, phew! So what do you think? Do you love any of the characters that I had picked here? Who would you picked as your favourite character in movies that you watched in 2016?

No comments: