Monday, March 21, 2016

Asia's Next Top Model Cycle 4 ~ 2 episodes impression


Asia's Next Top Model season 4 had premiered on StarWorld Asia (channel 711 and 722 on ASTRO Malaysia) on Wednesday, 9th March 2016, and currently it is at its second episode which had already been aired on 16th March 2016. At first I wanted to write a post after its season premiere but I thought maybe I should give it one more episode before I write anything about it. It allowed me to know more about the contestants and also the new line of judges.

For this season, not only do we have 14 new contestants vying for the title, we also have a new host, and a new model mentor. Taking over from Georgina Wilson as head judge and host is Cindy Bishop, while Kelly Tandiono is replacing Joey Mead-King as the model mentor. I must say, I will truly missed Joey Mead-King, not only she has been the consistent face on the show but she was also funny and entertaining to watch. She was a good mentor to the contestants too.

I was a bit confused on who is the creative director for this season. It was promoted on TV before the premiere that Yu Tsai would be the creative director, even in the official website it was stated that he will be taking that role for this season. So when he didn't show up in the first episode and Kenneth Goh showed up instead, I felt a bit cheated. For the second episode though, neither Yu Tsai nor Kenneth Goh showed up so who is the real creative director for season 4? As it was heavily promoted that Yu Tsai is indeed the creative director, I guess maybe we would eventually see him on the TV show, starting with episode 3 perhaps?

As of episode 2, I think the show has been pretty good. Cindy Bishop and Kelly Tandiono have been great and the contestants have been delivering good photos. I like the guest judges that have been called to the show so far too. The show also has a new scoring system where it implements the scoring method that was introduced in America's Next Top Model, so the contestants will be given scores by the judges for their photos and also on their challenges. I think it is good that they implement this for the show as well, at least viewers will have visibility on how the contestants were ranked. The only thing I don't like from these 2 episodes is the elimination of Maya in the first episode. I always hate it when the first contestant is eliminated on the first episode as I believe it was still too early to cut someone, but Maya was already eliminated halfway through the first episode after she received the lowest score for the first challenge which was a runway challenge. I feel it was a bit unfair to her that the show was trying to create "drama" on her expense.

Well, what are reality shows if without drama, right? There were definitely some drama in these first two episodes. While I don't mind the contestants talking about their life before the show, or the "drama" surrounding their struggles during the photoshoots, I don't really fancy the cat fights. I'm all about the photos when it comes to these shows, so I'm glad to say that some of the contestants had already been delivering good, high-quality shots (well at least to my personal taste). Even in the first episode where usually the girls were just beginning to warm up, the quality of the photos were better than I expected.

So who do I like? From first impression, I really like Angie and Mai Ngo a lot. Angie has a beautiful face and sparkling eyes, while Mai Ngo has a unique look to her. Personality-wise, I really like Patricia, she's really fun to watch. I'm not sure as who will go far in this competition though, because to be honest, anything can happen in this show, some contestants will start from bottom and work their way up, some of them will be consistent throughout while others unfortunately will start from the top and become worse. It really is anybody's game at this point.

Before I end this post, let me introduce you to the contestants for this season.

From left: Jessica (Hong Kong), May (Myanmar) and Patricia (Indonesia)

From left: Mai Ngo (Vietnam), Julian (Philippines) and Angie (Singapore)

From left: Tugs (Mongolia), Maya (Thailand) and Aldilla (Indonesia)
*Maya was eliminated in episode 1
*Tugs was eliminated in episode 2

From left: Tawan (Thailand), Alaiza (Philippines) and Tuti (Malaysia)

From left: Gwen (Philippines) and Sang In (South Korea)

You can watch Asia's Next Top Model season 4 on StarWorld Asia, every Wednesday at 9 pm (8 pm for Jakarta, Bangkok and Vietnam). I wish the episodes will become more entertaining and the photos will be more breathtaking as the show continues. Good luck to all contestants!


Images courtesy of the official website of Asia's Next Top Model season 4.

No comments: