Monday, March 9, 2015

What to watch? ~ 2015 movies: March

Hmm...it looks like March has a few interesting film releases. Let's take a look at some of the movies that I'm excited for that will be released in this month.


1) Chappie


I love District 9, and while Elysium was not as good as District 9, it was still good and thought-provoking. So this third effort from the director Neill Blomkamp should get me excited too, right? After watching the trailer, I am pretty excited for this movie because not only it falls under the science fiction category, which I love and seems to be the director strength, it also reminded me of other artificial intelligence movies like 2004 I, Robot and 2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence which were both I adored too. Eventhough the world Chappie was set in seems not highly advanced with robots as the other two movies, the exploration of the robot way of thinking and their emotional journey really seems to be the same. Starred Sharlto Copley as the voice and motion capture of Chappie, Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman, Yolandi Visser and Sigourney Weaver, the movie had already opened in cinemas on March 6, 2015.


2) Cinderella


At first, I'm not really sure I would want to watch this. Eventhough I love Disney's animated version of the fairy tale, I would not like to watch a live-action, straight adaptation of Cinderella, which was what it looked to be from the first released trailer. Then the second trailer came out, and it seems that the movie will not be a straight adaptation after all. Great! I would prefer it that way since I don't want to watch the same thing again, eventhough it's in live-action. The animated movie is still a good movie to watch even today, so if you want to do the exact same story, why not just ask people to watch the animated movie right? Starring Lily James as the titular character, Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Richard Madden, Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera, Cinderella will open in cinemas on March 13, 2015.


3) Run All Night


I thought Joel Kinnaman was excellent in last year's reboot of Robocop, so I am glad to see him again in another movie, alongside Liam Neeson no less, which is also an interesting actor. Run All Night seemed like not the type of movie that I would like though; a gritty-looking, action-packed movie about vengeance which involved gangsters and lots of shooting. It doesn't seemed to involve a lot of storytelling there, might be a film filled with action, which is not bad if you're really into heavy action stuff. But I'm interested with the two actors that were involved in this movie, so that's why it's still on my list. Besides, Liam Neeson is pretty cool when it comes to action movies, so I might enjoy it after all. Other than the two actors, the film also starred Ed Harris, Common, Génesis Rodríguez and Vincent D'Onofrio. The movie is scheduled to be released in cinemas on March 13, 2015.


4) Demonic


Demonic is an American horror movie co-produced by James Wan, the person who directed some of the best recent horror movies like The Conjuring and Insidious. This movie is not directed by him though, instead the movie is directed by Will Canon and starred Maria Bello, Frank Grillo, Dustin Milligan, Megan Park and Cody Horn. The trailer seems nice, and I'm a bit curious on what the story is all about. I love horror movies so hopefully this will be good. No release date for the US yet but Demonic is scheduled to be released in Malaysia on March 19, 2015.


5) The Divergent Series: Insurgent


I watched Divergent last year out of curiosity, and I kind of like it. It was a nice movie and I had fun watching it, so I'm pretty much looking forward for this sequel since it seems to be packed with more action and more expansive look on the world that it was set in, which is quite interesting to be honest. They seemed to have some kind of theme for their marketing though with all the broken glasses, and while it looked nice, I was wondering would it be carried forward to the actual movie? I don't mind more special effects and action sequences but I do hope the story would be nice too. The movie starred Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Octavia Spencer, Maggie Q, Naomi Watts and Ansel Elgort, and scheduled to be released in cinemas on March 20, 2015.


That's all for March. See you again next time for April movies.

No comments: