Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What to watch? ~ 2014 movies: April

Usually summer movies start to play in May but it seems that there might be too many blockbuster movies nowadays that some of them had to be moved to end of the year around November and December, or to March and April. While I think it's good to have more blockbuster movies in a year, but too many of them could be troublesome too as it will be too competitive for the movies to fight for audiences attention and it could result in some of them to be overlooked. It's sad if those overlooked movies are the good ones but in movie business that can't be helped I guess.

Now let's look at the movies that will be released in April 2014 (based on the release date in Wikipedia which usually follow the release date for the US) that I look forward to.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier


A highly-anticipated film by Marvel Studios, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the ninth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the first to be released this year out of two films (the other one would be Guardians of the Galaxy). To tell the truth, I didn't watch Captain America: The First Avenger at the cinema, and even when it was aired on TV, I never watched it from start to finish, only a few scenes here and there. The film did look interesting, but I never really care about the character I guess. But for this sequel, I was interested to watch it and the trailer looks good too. And guess what? I did watched it! Yes, I already did! It's ironic when a movie with America in the title didn't even open in America first. Instead, the movie opened in some other countries a week earlier than in the US (including Malaysia where I've come from). Directed by the Russo brothers (Anthony Russo and Joe Russo) and starred Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Emily VanCamp, Frank Grillo, Robert Redford and Hayley Atwell, this film will be released in the US on April 4, 2014. It's a good movie, I highly recommended it!


2. Oculus


This movie is only in my radar since a few weeks ago. It's a horror movie about two siblings who want to prove that the death of their parents were caused by an evil entity that possessed an antique mirror in their house. The trailer looks interesting but what pique my interest is the mystery behind the mirror. Was it really a supernatural being? Or was it something else? The movie also looks to be focusing more on the psychological side of horror instead of blood and gore, which is also a good thing for me. Starred Karen Gillan, Brenton Thwaites, Katee Sackhoff, Annalise Basso, Garrett Ryan and Rory Cochrane, Oculus will come to cinema near you on April 11, 2014.


3. Transcendence


Johnny Depp starred in this movie, which makes me curious to watch it because I don't think I ever watch Johnny Depp in a science fiction movie before. Transcendence is a directorial debut of Wally Pfister, a long-time cinematographer of Christopher Nolan. I'm excited for the story, which is about a machine which possesses human intelligence, however the trailer looks a bit dull. I'm hoping the film would be much more fascinating than what have been shown in the trailer because, personally, I love movies about artificial intelligence and so I don't want this good concept to be destroyed by poor execution. Also starred Rebecca Hall, Morgan Freeman, Paul Bettany and Kate Mara, the film is set to release on April 17, 2014.


4. The Quiet Ones

The trailer for this film reminded me of the 2012 supernatural film The Apparition, which is not good since I don't really like that movie. But The Quiet Ones does seems like a better film, judging from the trailer at least, so I plan to watch it in cinema anyway. The movie is about a college professor who intended to recreate poltergeist to prove that the paranormal activity is caused by negative energy from human. Starring Jared Harris, Sam Claflin, Olivia Cooke, Rory Fleck-Byrne and Erin Richards, the film is scheduled to be released on April 10, 2014 in the UK, and on April 25, 2014 in the US.


That's all for movies in April. See you again soon for upcoming movies in May, when the summer movies season begins!

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: