Friday, October 30, 2009

Percy Jackson to replace Harry Potter?


I always wonder, which book-adaptation movie will next become a new franchise and replace Harry Potter? Obviously we need a new fantasy adventure film now that Harry Potter movie franchise is nearing its end. I watched The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising, certainly not that one. I did not watch Inkheart so I don't know how that goes. I love The Golden Compass but unfortunately the movie did not performed as well as expected, and so the need for a sequel is still questionable. The Narnia Chronicles was doing well until Disney did not want to distribute it anymore. Hopefully the 3rd movie will do well and regain the strength of the franchise. Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant performed poorly on its opening weekend, I don't think it can raise up to the same level as Harry Potter. The Twilight Saga? Err...I don't think it's in the same league with the rest that I had mentioned.

And then there's one more, Percy Jackson & the Olympians. Based from the first book in the series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief will be released in cinemas in February 2010. I always wanted to buy the book but always ended up buying something else. Hopefully this movie will give me a good reason why I should then.

Anyway, this movie looks set to become a franchise as big as Harry Potter franchise. Although it's still too early to tell, but with Chris Columbus as the director (he directed the 1st and 2nd Harry Potter movies) this movie has all the potential. Plus, have you seen the teaser trailer? Or perhaps the new poster that had just been released online? They both have that same vibe as Harry Potter movies, well in my opinion at least. From the atmosphere to the title artwork, they all reminded me of Harry Potter.

You can click here to check out the new poster for the movie and decide for yourself. I also have the teaser trailer posted here. Thanks IGN. And for all of you, enjoy!

Oh, you can also click here to go to the official website of the movie. Again, enjoy the trailer!


No comments: