Saturday, September 12, 2015

What to watch? ~ 2015 movies: September

It's almost mid of September, my apologies for uploading this post a bit late but I thought I should get this up online anyway so here it is.

Summer movie season has ended and September usually is the slow month for movies but I feel that there are still some potentially good movies to be found. Check out below for some of the movies that I feel are quite interesting.


1) The Visit


I think a lot of people have lost faith in M. Night Shyamalan after he directed the live adaptation of The Last Airbender and also the poorly received After Earth. Eventhough he had his hits and misses with his movies (just like any other director, right?), I still think he is a good director. I mean, he gave us The Sixth Sense, right? And I'm one of those few people who actually like The Village. Maybe he works better with small scale movies? The Visit looks like the kind of movies he used to make before so we'll see. The movie is about two siblings who discover strange happenings around their grandparent's house when they spent some nights there with them. Well, not just the surroundings but their grandparents are acting pretty strange as well. The trailer seems to point it to be a horror movie but I understand it is also a comedy? Hmm...I don't see that in the trailer at all to be honest but I'm certainly curious to find out what's the story is all about. The movie was released in cinemas on Sept. 11, 2015.


2) Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials


I love The Maze Runner the movie, so I'm really excited for this sequel which will be released in the US cinemas on Sept. 18, 2015 (the film had actually been released here in Malaysia and some other Asian countries on 10th and 11th Sept. 2015). After managed to get out from the maze in one piece, Thomas and his friends will need to figure out what's their next move will be as they find out more about the mysterious organization, W.C.K.D., that had placed them in the maze in the first place, and also after finding out the reality of the apocalyptic world that they are living in. Can they survive the even more grueling and unforgiving land of the outside world? Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials is directed by Wes Ball (the same director of the first film) and starred Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, Dexter Darden, Alexander Flores, Patricia Clarkson, Rosa Salazar, Aidan Gillen, Giancarlo Esposito, Jacob Lofland and Barry Pepper.

3) Sicario


I was first impressed with Emily Blunt when I first saw her in The Devil Wears Prada, but it wasn't until Edge of Tomorrow, the film she starred alongside Tom Cruise, that she made me fall in love with her. She was amazing in that film and now she's back in Sicario, a thriller movie in which she played an FBI agent enlisted to track down an anonymous drug lord at the border of United States and Mexico. From the trailer it seems to me the movie will have quite a heavy theme, the type of movie that I seldom watch in cinemas. Nonetheless, it looks pretty exciting and like I said, I'm quite fond of Emily Blunt's acting now so I might check this out. The film is directed by Denis Villeneuve who also directed Prisoners, which I had watched in the cinema and loved, so that's another good reason for me to check this movie out. Also starred Benicio del Toro, Josh Brolin and Victor Garber, the film is scheduled to have a limited release in cinemas on Sept. 18, 2015 before it goes nationwide (in the US) on Oct. 2, 2015.


4) Hotel Transylvania 2


The first movie released back in 2012 was a surprised for me as I never imagined I would have enjoyed it as much as I did, so I'm quite excited for this sequel. In this film, Count Dracula has a grandchild, but being a mixed blood of vampire and normal human being, he lacks any vampire abilities which resulted in Count Dracula to get help from his friends and put his grandchild in a some kind of "monster training". The story sounds quite nice, and I bet there's going to be a lot of chaos and mayhem caused by Count Dracula and his friends which will turn into great laughs for the audience. Voice casts will include Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Kevin James, David Spade, Steve Buscemi, Keegan-Michael Key, Fran Drescher, Mel Brooks, Molly Shannon and Asher Blinkoff. Directed by the same director of the successful first movie, Genndy Tartakovsky, Hotel Transylvania 2 will be released in cinemas on Sept. 25, 2015.


5) The Intern


When I first saw like the first 10 seconds of the trailer for this movie, I thought I would not be interested to watch it. Then as the trailer continue, I find it to be quite charming and quite possibly has a good story to tell. Anne Hathaway will play a founder and CEO of a company while Robert De Niro will play one of the employee hired as part of the company's community outreach program. The interaction between the two in facing their struggles - Anne Hathaway's character doesn't seen as "seasoned" enough to lead a company while Robert De Niro's character went out of retirement and trying to fit in the working environment among young adults - seems interesting and I'm quite interested to find out how the movie will play out. The film is directed by Nancy Meyers who had directed films like The Parent Trap (the one with young Lindsay Lohan) and The Holiday (I love this movie!) and is scheduled to open in cinemas on Sept. 25, 2015.


There is actually one more movie previously scheduled to be released in September, Before I Wake, but seeing how the distributor of the film, Relativity Media, had filed for bankruptcy, the film had been pulled from release. I'm not sure what will happen to that movie. Kind of sad really because I'm really looking forward to that movie by Mike Flanagan, who previously gave us the horror movie Oculus.

So those are the movies I'm interested in for September 2015. Any one of these movies caught your attention as well? And have you seen the trailer for Before You Wake? Do you think that movie will have a fighting chance to eventually be released in cinemas?

No comments: