Sunday, February 8, 2015

What to watch? ~ 2015 movies: February

Welcome to the first edition of "What to watch" for 2015! I'm going to continue doing this monthly post of my most anticipated movies just like I did last year. 2015 is expected to be a good year for Hollywood as a lot of highly anticipated movies are coming our way, some which are from well-known and loved franchises by audiences. So which movies I'm most looking forward to in February?

Oh, and before that, I apologize for the late post since it's already more than a week into February.

Side note: The release date for most (if not all) of these movies that I'm going to list are going to follow the release date for United States. The same goes for all the other movies in upcoming "What to watch" posts for the rest of 2015.


1) Jupiter Ascending


This movie was supposed to be released in 2014, but it was delayed to this year. I was disappointed when I learned that news before because I love this type of epic sci-fi movie and I really want to watch this. The trailers look absolutely beautiful with cool special effects, and it seemed to have quite a nice story too. I didn't expect to see Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis (two main protagonists for this movie) in a science fiction movie though so I was kind of surprised at first, but after watching the trailers, I'm convinced that I will love their characters. The Wachowskis duo (the directors of this movie) impressed me with Cloud Atlas before (which topped my Top 10 favourite movies of 2013) so I hope they will impressed me again with this offering. Also starring Sean Bean, Eddie Redmayne, Tuppence Middleton, Douglas Booth, Nikki Amuka-Bird and Doona Bae, Jupiter Ascending had opened in cinemas on Feb. 6, 2015.


2) Shaun the Sheep Movie


My niece adored Shaun the Sheep stop-motion animated TV series, and since I accompanied her a lot, I grew to love the TV show as well. It was a fun show to watch and since I love the TV show, I might enjoy the movie version of it as well, right? I'm not sure if it will be in a more grand scale compared to its TV counterpart (I don't see any much different from the movie trailers except for the different settings) but if it has the same warmth and joy that the TV show has, then I'm sure I will have a good time in the cinema. The movie already had a good start, it received critical acclaim with a lot of critics gave it positive reviews. Directed by Richard Starzak and Mark Burton, the movie had been released in United Kingdom on Feb. 6, 2015.

3) Kingsman: The Secret Service


This spy action film, directed by the X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn, is based on the comic book created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar called The Secret Service. It will headlined Colin Firth as a veteran spy training selected youngsters to become spies, Samuel L. Jackson as the radical environmentalist and the movie main villain, and Taron Egerton as one of the youngster that is being trained. I believe Taron Egerton is a relatively new actor so we'll see if this movie will make a movie star out of him. As for Colin Firth, it's very rare to see him in an action movie like this, right? I don't recall seeing him in anything like this, so I'm very much looking forward to see him in action. One interesting fact: the director, Matthew Vaughn, had collaborated with the luxury retailer Mr Porter to create a collection based on this film. So you can actually buy the clothes you see the spies wore in the film. How fascinating! You can check out Mr Porter website for the Kingsman collection. Kingsman: The Secret Service is scheduled to be released on Feb. 13, 2015.


4) The DUFF


This movie reminded me of Mean Girls after I watched the trailer for it. I remember watching Mean Girls in the cinema and really liked it. I know the movie has a lot of fans among girls/women but as a guy, I think it's an awesome movie too. But I haven't watch any movie like that in the cinema since then. That is why I'm hoping that The DUFF will be as good as Mean Girls because I am really interested to watch it now. Although it doesn't look as high-profile as Mean Girls, I believe it still has potential to be successful. Directed by Ari Sandel and starred Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, Bella Thorne, Ken Jeong, Madisen Beaty and Allison Janney, this movie will be released in cinemas on Feb. 20, 2015 (and hopefully it will be released in my town/country too).


5) The Lazarus Effect


I love horror movies, and eventhough I kind of like what I see from the trailer of The Lazarus Effect, I'm still questioning myself if I should watch this in the cinema or should I just wait for it to be available on TV. It looks kind of scary, and I'm interested to know about the story as well, but at the same time it seems like there is nothing special about it. I like Olivia Wilde though, so maybe she will be a selling point for me beside the horror element for this movie. Another selling point would be Jason Blum, one of the producer for this movie, who had produced successful horror movies before like Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister and The Purge under his production company, Blumhouse Productions. Hmm...maybe I will watch this in the cinema after all. Joining Olivia Wilde in this movie are Mark Duplass, Sarah Bolger, Donald Glover and Evan Peters. The Lazarus Effect is scheduled to be released in cinemas on Feb. 27, 2015.


That's all for February. Any of these movies caught your attention as well? See you again soon for March movies!

Images sourced from Wikipedia.

No comments: