Thursday, March 6, 2014

What to watch? ~ 2014 movies: March

So I am back again to reveal the movies that I look forward to this year. I first did this list for February, now let's look at the movies for March 2014. The movies that I've listed would mostly follow the American release dates but bear in mind that the release dates might have a last-minute change (just like what happened to Welcome to Yesterday which I had listed in my February list). Without further delay, let's begin.

1. 300: Rise of an Empire


For the record, I didn't watch 300 but I'm quite interested to watch this follow-up movie. From the trailer, you can tell that this movie will have the same style as its predecessor, which is a good thing considering how popular 300 was when it was released back in 2006. Zack Snyder, the guy who co-wrote and directed 300, would only act as producer and writer this time. Directed by Noam Murro and starring Sullivan Stapleton, Eva Green, Rodrigo Santoro, Hans Matheson, Callan Mulvey and Lena Headey, 300: Rise of an Empire is set to release in cinemas on March 7, 2014.


2. Mr. Peabody & Sherman


I was not really interested to know about this film until I saw the first trailer for it, and I must say it looks quite fun, visually beautiful and educational as well. The film is actually based on the characters from Peabody's Improbable History segments of the animated television series, The Rock and Bullwinkle Show. It's an 1960s TV show so I think most Asians will not be very familiar with the source material like myself. But as long as its a good film, I think it doesn't matter if the audiences are familiar with it or not. The film actually received good reviews from critics so that's already one good news for the film. Mr. Peabody & Sherman is voiced by Ty Burrell, Max Charles, Ariel Winter, Mel Brooks, Stanley Tucci and Patrick Warburton, and will be released on March 7, 2014.


3. Need for Speed


A film based on video games? I think it is safe to say that video game-based films rarely make it big at the box-office (especially the live-action films) but personally I found that some of them are quite good like Silent Hill and the animated film Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. And some of them even made a lot of money despite been panned by critics like the Resident Evil film series. So I think only time will tell whether Need for Speed will be successful or not. Judging from the trailer though, the movie seems to be quite entertaining with lots of great shots of fast cars. And if the Fast and the Furious movie series indicates the interest of movie audiences with fast cars, then I think this film will be just fine. Starring Aaron Paul, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Michael Keaton and Ramon Rodriguez, Need for Speed will be released in theaters on March 12, 2014 in the UK and March 14, 2014 in the US.


4. Divergent


I'm very much looking forward to this film. The trailer looks fun with interesting world, society and characters to be explored. But at the same time I'm scared that the plot might be too complicated to be explained in a 2-hour plus movie. The film is based on a novel by Veronica Roth, so the studios behind it (Summit Entertainment and Lionsgate) are hoping this film will launch another young-adult-novel-based movies after The Twilight Saga and The Hunger Games movie franchises. Well, we will soon find out how this movie will turn out. I am for sure will be seeing this film in the cinema. The film starred Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ansel Elgort, Kate Winslet, Maggie Q and Ray Stevenson. Divergent will be released in cinemas on March 21, 2014.


So that's all the movie I'm excited for in March. Are you excited for these movies too? Or are there other movies that I didn't mention that you are excited for?

Images from Yahoo! Movies and Wikipedia.

No comments: