Monday, January 7, 2013

My 2012 Top 10 Films ~ Part 1

It's that time of the year again when almost everyone on the web came out with their Top 10 films for 2012. Well, so do I. I watched a number of interesting films in 2012, from action-adventure to drama, from horror to animation, with a total of 25 films. I know it is not a lot but since I love most of the films that I had watched, it is quite a challenge to come up with this list. So here I present you my Top 10 list of films that I had watched in 2012. In the past years, I usually listed them in no particular order but this time, I'm going to rank them properly. For Part 1, here are number 10 to number 6;

10) Rise of the Guardians


We start off this list with one of the best looking animation of the year, Rise of the Guardians. It packed with action and some interesting fight scenes (The Sandman vs Pitch was a really good scene). Add that with colourful and magical visuals of the animation, you have one of the best animation that Hollywood could offer. Sadly to note though that the film suffered a lackluster performance in the box-office. I personally feel that Rise of the Guardians is a high-quality animation movie that have good moral values and great visuals, so it is sad to know that people are not responding well to the flick, or at least not as well as the studio might have hoped for.

9) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


This film would be the first entry of a new trilogy from Peter Jackson about Middle-earth set around 60 years before the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's a great fantasy film with fascinating tales and mythical creatures, and who would not love a little dose of Gollum. Although it is more light compared to the dark-themed of LOTR trilogy, it is still a fun movie to watch for adults. I do feel that it was a bit slow in the beginning but fortunately it became better in the middle and ending parts. Two more sequels; The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again, would be released in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

8) The Perks of Being a Wallflower


I was drew to watch this film because I heard such good comments about the movie, and also because of Emma Watson. But ultimately what I think is great about The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the performance of the casts such as Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, Paul Rudd, Kate Walsh, Mae Whitman, Nina Dobrev and my favourite, Logan Lerman as the central character Charlie. The plot is carefully handled too as it involved sensitive subjects such as drugs among teenagers, homosexual relationships, sexual abuse and suicide; one of which, unfortunately, I can relate to. The movie is based on a novel by Stephen Chbosky, and he even wrote the screenplay and directed the movie himself. The movie also received a lot of nominations by different awards associations and even won a few.

7) Lockout


I bet this would be a surprise entry in the list for anyone who is reading this. Lockout is a French film directed by James Mather and Stephen St. Leger, and starred Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Joseph Gilgun and Vincent Regan. The film is about a former government agent framed for murder who were offered freedom if he could rescue the president's daughter trapped in a space prison after it was take over by escaped prisoners. Although the special effects in the early and last part of the movie leave little to be desired, but the story and action-sequences would keep audiences glued to their seats. Plus, Agent Snow played by Guy Pearce is such a cool character that made this movie so much more entertaining to watch. I had a great time watching this movie in the cinema, so it would not make sense if I didn't include this movie in my Top 10 list.

6) Prometheus


I love sci-fi films, although I'm quite selective about them. But Prometheus has that mysterious vibe associated with discoveing the unknown of the universe that I like. Beside loving the great performances by the cast; Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Logan Marshall-Green, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba and others, Prometheus also provides great visuals that awed audiences. Although I read a lot of complaints online about the storyline and how confusing the plot is or even some of the characters' reaction to certain events (which I might agree to some degree), but I love Prometheus just the way it is. Hopefully, the studio would make a sequel to answer some of the questions left by Prometheus.

So that are the films from number 10 to number 6. Have any of these films in your Top 10 films for 2012? Or do you think some of them didn't even deserve to be listed? The remaining Top 5 films will be revealed in Part 2.

Images from Wikipedia.

No comments: