Saturday, December 15, 2012

K-pop Girl groups ~ My Favourite for 2012

Gangnam Style seems to conquer the world in 2012 but when it comes to K-pop, my favourite has to be the girl groups. So it's time for me to look back and see which are some of the best songs of 2012 by them. Here I present you my top 6 favourite K-pop girl groups of 2012 based on their songs. Let the countdown begins.

6) Girls' Generation ~ All My Love Is For You


Girls' Generation is a popular girl group which I believe need no introduction. The nine-members group; Jessica, Hyoyeon, Sunny, Yuri, Sooyoung, Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun and Yoona; has been very successful worldwide that they had been dubbed as South Korea's national group. I love their songs like Gee, Oh! and Hoot, but I found myself a bit less interested in their newer songs like Mr. Taxi and Paparazzi. But their 2012 Japanese song, All My Love Is For You, had caught my attention. It's a powerful and wonderful song, almost like a ballad to me, that captured my heart from the very first time I listened to it. With a song like this, Girls' Generation managed to prove that they are not just relying on catchy pop tracks and dance moves but also on their vocal talent to captivate fans.

Watch All My Love Is For You

5) KARA ~ Pandora and Electric Boy


KARA, which composed of Gyuri, Seungyeon, Nicole, Goo Hara and Jiyoung, is very popular in Japan, so I guess that is why they had been very active in Japan releasing a studio album, two singles and one compilation album there. Electric Boy, one of the single released in Japan, had been my favourite Japanese song by them. It's an upbeat song and the music video retained their cute and girly image just like in their Step music video, which happens to be my favourite KARA song so far. On the other hand, their Korean effort Pandora featured a more mature image of them. It sounded less cheerful compared to Electric Boy but it still gives you an upbeat tempo that will keep you singing along in no time.

Watch Pandora
Watch Electric Boy


4) After School ~ Rambling Girls and Flashback


Another group that had been busy in Japan is After School, currently consists of 8 members; Jungah, Raina, Uee, Nana, Jooyeon, Lizzy, E-Young and new member, Kaeun (former member and leader Kahi had 'graduated' from the group). Their Japanese song, Rambling Girls, had a unique sound to it that separate it from the other songs by the other girl groups. I generally dislike original Japanese songs by Korean girl groups except for a few but I believe this is the best from all that I had listened to. Another song from them that I love is their Korean song, Flashback, which is a pop/dance track with intense sound and music video featuring sexy and matured image of the group. The music sounds a bit serious than a regular pop song but still a good and catchy song nevertheless.

Watch Rambling Girls
Watch Flashback

3) Wonder Girls ~ Like This and Like Money


If you guys had read my previous posts about K-pop music, you would know that I adore Wonder Girls, which consists of Sunye, Yeeun, Yubin, Hyelim and Sohee. Their songs like Tell Me and So Hot are some of my all-time favourites. In 2012, they came back with two awesome songs which are Like This, the Korean song for their Korean mini-album; and Like Money, their English single which they collaborated with Akon. Both songs and music videos for the songs saw them stripping away from the retro image that they are known for in their past songs for a more urban and funky styles. The changed of image is very refreshing, and the outdoor MV for Like This and space-inspired MV for Like Money help them break away from the typical image of K-pop girl group.

Watch Like This
Watch Like Money

2) f(x) ~ Electric Shock


With only one song which is Electric Shock, f(x) managed to grab the number two spot on this list. Why? It's because Electric Shock is addictive. Yes it's true, well for me at least. Seeing Luna, Amber, Krystal, Sulli and Victoria in their music video had made me unable to stop pressing the replay button again and again...and again. It seems the song is very popular in YouTube too, making millions of views in just a few days after it was uploaded. By December 2012, the music video had reached more than 36 million views. Impressive! Other than the addictive tune, the cool choreography and the cute members, I also like the colourful outfits and their choice of accessories in the music video.

Watch Electric Shock

1) T-ara ~ Day by Day and Sexy Love


T-ara had been faced with a lot of controversies in 2012 but they also poduced great music which is why they landed on the top spot in this list. Currently composed of Eunjung, Qri, Hyomin, Boram, Areum, Soyeon and Jiyeon (Dani, a new member will be added later), the group had released Day By Day with a high-production-value music video with an apocalyptic world setting. Combined with great tune of the song, the music video proved the dedication of the group in delivering high-quality products for their fans. They followed that with another great song, Sexy Love, which is a danceable track with an addictive pop sound.

Watch Day By Day
Watch Sexy Love

And that is, my fellow readers, is my Top 6 K-pop Girl Groups for 2012 (based on their songs). Are you a fan of K-pop too? If you are, which groups are your top picks for 2012? And if you are not, do you mind telling me why? I hope you enjoy the post and thank you for reading.

No comments: